Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a gap between the base of siding and the concrete walkway between our house and garage. It's a low spot so water definitely gets into our crawl space here. Additionally, at the corner of the house it looks like there is/was a drain but the hole has widened to allow the water to sort of just go wherever. There's not really much under the siding to attach to as it's just crappy particle board that's been water damaged due to the lack of caulking here. At one end it's caulked and flush with the concrete but the gap widens at the far end. I'd welcome any ideas. I'm going under the house now to see what the damage is. We have a mold problem in a closet that is right above this area so I assume this is the cause but don't know the full extent of the damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would consider using Epoxy Expansion Joint Sealer or something similar. I guess it depends on how much you have to do and your budget. The epoxy is expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best fix for a problem like that would be to bend an L into a piece of flashing and slide it up under the trim. Then cover the bottom of the L with hydraulic cement this will ensure the trim remains sealed indefinitely.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I actually gave option 3 a crack but the rain came three days early and the concrete didn't set. But I think I'll try the flashing idea next. That seems very reasonable.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Probably too late, but I would suggest backing the flashing with expanding foam to seal up all the nooks and crannies and help prevent air infiltration underneath; since it is such a big gap, you'd have to go with a product with a high expansion rating (Dow "Great Stuff" has different products depending on the size of the gap to fill)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts