Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently we're planning to sell beef, lamb, goat, and chicken and in asking around my local community it seems as if there's also a market for rabbit. I've got the space and the time for rabbits, I believe, but I know absolutely nothing about them. My only experience has come from catching wild rabbits and skinning and eating those.

Where should I start my research? Any book recommendations? Any tips you veterans can offer me?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Rabbit Production (Hardcover)
by Peter R. Cheeke (Author), Nephi M. Patton (Author), Steven D. Lukefahr (Author), J. I. McNitt (Editor)

$50.00 new price

I will see if i can find one on line for you

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Start reading back posts on this forum... go back a year and work forward. You'll be amazed at how much you learn. You don't have to read every single post... look mainly for the ones about rabbit care and feeding, cages, breeding etc.

Another very good book is Ann Kanable's Raising Rabbits. Lots of basics there with a slant toward the backyard rabbitry rather than commercial ventures. Often available through abebooks for about a dollar plus shipping. http://www.abebooks.com/
In fact, many of the rabbit books there are a really good buy.

Third suggestion is to look at the sticky at the top of the page listing useful rabbit links. Then follow those links and read, read, read. Don't forget your local library too... It's sometimes a good idea to read a book and then decide if it's worth buying to have on hand.

Rabbits are great... but you are doing the smart thing getting the basics under your belt before starting. Good luck.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ernie said:
Where should I start my research? Any book recommendations? Any tips you veterans can offer me?
As suggested, a good reference for the serious producer is

Rabbit Production, 8th Ed.

It can be purchased for about $31.00 from:
http://phcatalog.pearson.com/co_home.cfm?site_id=6

Search for the title exactly as I listed or use
the ISBN # 0-8134-3167-0

I would also suggest attending the Rabbit Production Chat
held on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month. The information
can be found on my forum in the News Corner.

http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com/forums/

My co-host, Dr. Mark Grobner, has many years of experience with
rabbit production as well as having worked with all 4 authors of
the Rabbit Production book. Dr. Grobner has had as many
as 1600 NZ does in production at once.

Past chats are also posted in the Members area.

Good luck with your venture.

Linda Welch
ARBA Commercial Dept. Committee

·
Registered
920 Posts
The link that you included to the texasrabbitconnection says that they are not accepting any new members. Is there any way that you could pull some strings for us - pretty please with sugar on top? :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
The information required to register is listed in the first section
of that forum. I sent you a PM with the details also.

·
bluebird2o2
1,203 Posts
I reccomend Storeys guide too raising rabbits.by Bob Bennet.its a great beginners book and avaiable at tractor supply.i dont agree with how much he medicates rabbits but everything else is good.bluebird

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Ditto to the advice so far.

The only additional thing you might do is make note of your local high and low temperatures, number of high and low temperature days, any special weather trends like hurricanes and severe winter storms, and take those into consideration when setting up your rabbitry. Find someone locally that breeds rabbits and take a look at their set-up, and pick their brains.

Also, check into what kind of market you have, will processors accept coloured rabbits, are there local abbatoirs where you can have them butchered or will you be doing that yourself - all that kind of stuff.

And like Maggie said - read, read, read. Through the wonder of the internet there is amazing stuff out there just for the asking.

You will find this site to be the absolute best resource when you finally get into the thick of things, because there's nothing like being able to ask a 'real' person what to do when... or how do I... or what did you do when...

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i second , third , and forth what ever one else said.. i got books from the library, found breeders in my area, visited 3 rabbitries, bought storeys guide at tsc..all before i bent my first roll of cage wire...
if i could start all over i would join the arba first and join a local club..
with arba membership you get a rabbit raising book and the year book which has lists of clubs and rabbitries and other members with phone numbers and address'
making it much easier to contact people who are already doing what you want to do.
the club members will have the breed you decide on and loads of experiance..you can't put a price on help from those who have gone before..
good luck with your new project
hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us

1 - 10 of 10 Posts