How to do this now

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SunsSpot, Dec 22, 2006.

1. SunsSpot

SunsSpot Member

I am purchasing a tract of land in Missouri (Cabool area), and until yesterday I was working 100 hours a week at my job. When I took this job there was unlimited over time available, and was told that it was permanent over time. Well yesterday some corporate big shot figured out that all this over time could be better spent on new employees, so now there is a cap on over time of just 10 hours per week.

My problem is that I was going to pay 18 land payments and still have $5000 to build my house, and $4000-5000 to live off of for the first year. Now I will not have enough money to do all of this.

Any suggestions?

I have my dad looking for used building materials and such, so if anyone knows of any place around Cabool Missouri to buy used lumber, blocks, and so on please let me know.

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Do the land purchase and re-schedule your home building until after the land is paid for....JM2C's......

3. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

True. As getting things just because you HAD plenty of overtime. Overtime is Never a guaranteed things to bank on, as you just found out, sorry but that is life. I had bunches of overtime till it was suddenly gone And that Really put me in a money crunch so much I had to take some drastic measures. Like chater 7.... So I learned the hard way myself, and I guess others have to learn also which is too bad, but when working for somebody else,,, Nothing Should be counted on as being permanent for years and years. nothing.

4. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I don't even count on my job being permanent, let alone any overtime. I don't believe anything they tell me, and only half of what I actually see. I know far too many people that do things like this (some major purchase) based on their OT, and then end up in trouble later. If you can still survive while paying for the land, do that and change your timetable. Or, find a second job.

5. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

on 63 highway towards houston, theres a used building supply--he has doors and windows, dont know what else. and in west plains theres a place where builders donate leftovers to be sold cheap for just such causes. hope this helps?

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Get a second job part-time to make up for the over-time loss. I paid for land that way years ago, then bought a re-possessed mobile home from a bank for $3,999 and lived in it for nearly 20 years! Sold it for many times what I had put into it, too. I had a day job and a night job for several years and it also paid for trips to Europe, Mexico, Canada and the islands. You can kiss your social life good-bye, but it did keep me out of trouble.

7. SunsSpot

SunsSpot Member

do you know the name of the place in west plains

8. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Habitat for Humanity has stores that sell all sorts of stuff. There are always tons of companies that sell secondhand building materials, you just got to break out the local phone book and look.

Also, craigslist and freecycle.

9. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

no, but you could get name and number from chamber of commerce. if my SIL was home, being a builder, he'd know.

10. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

You might try the "Habitat For Humanity" resale shop in Springfield. About 60 miles but they have quite a bit of stuff and if you are in town already, you might stop by.

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Over by Koshkonong there is a FANTASTIC salvage lumber/hardware store. If you don't see what you need, ask. He may have it in another warehouse.

12. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The land is escalating in value pretty fast so it's a good thing to anchor your real estate cost's now. You can always do the building as you can afford it.

Good luck. It will work out if you don't lose track of your goal!

13. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I agree get the land first, while it is still available for under $1,000/acre. Land prices will always be going up.

:)

14. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member