Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you take old gas?

I've got gas in my old truck that is about 18 months old. The truck started right up but then began to run bad so I turned it off. I've siphoned the gas out but now I don't know where to take it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You might mix it a little bit at a time into the drain oil you recycle at the auto parts store. It will have some fuel in it at any rate. Or burn stump piles with the same.

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got about 8 gallons.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
use it as parts cleaner. or mix with used motor oil and paint it on the wood floors of your trailers the gas will evaporate and the oil will stay in the boards to preserve them.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Put it in a tight container that is well labeled and stored in a cool dark place. Then, every time you burn brush, dump a half gallon or so on BEFORE lighting. Let it soak for a few minutes and then light from FAR enough away to preserve some of the hair on your body. By burning it, you turn it into CO2 and H2O (in a perfect combustion) as opposed to letting it evaporate and release into the atmosphere as hydrocarbons that include benzene (a carcinogen). And it will give you one heck of a nice brush pile fire!

Otherwise, check to see what your county has. Some have the ability to take this type of material. See http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2297947/best-way-to-get-rid-of-old-gasoline But as one person stated beware of someone connected to the EPA that might insist that someone with a haz-mat suit come pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
was at a fire demo where they had kids putting out gas fires with fire extinguishers, they used gas on a pan of water then lit it because the amount of gas was fairly small it burned controlled about 2 foot flames they were doing about a cup of gas at a time

and because of the water they could safely add more gas every time it was extinguished

this works because it was in the open , the pan was full even though most of it was water , the gas floats on the water and burns up any vapor is blow away

the important thing is that it be in the open away from things and that the pan be full so the sides don't catch vapor

the fireman was lighting it with a basic LP torch from up wind , I might tape the torch to a shovel handle just to be a bit further away but it didn't flare up on him just started rolling flames about 2 feet high and down wind

start small , but as you get it figured out I think you will find you can add more gas each time it burns out

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I've been using gas to kill weeds.

The new brush killers don't seem to be killing many weeds on our property. This year, poison ivy has been growing at an alarming rate, as well as another weed that I can't identify. It is a weed that has a billion little thorns on it.

I am not mass spraying anything. I'm just using a dab of gas here and there to kill those unwanted weeds, just by pouring a dab on the plant to kill it.

You could always run an ad on freecycle or craigslist.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
When I worked in mower shops, I'd pour it all into a metal 5 gallon bucket and light it on fire and let it burn all day or until it was out..

BUT, be careful if you have any notable amount of water in the bottom. Once the water gets hot enough to boil, things can quickly get out of control..

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I could add a small amount to my car's gas tank each time I fill it.

My county will dispose of it for free if I can get it there when they are accepting gas.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I already give Unkle enough money.. even old gas is useful to me... I use it around the place all the time.. fires, parts cleaner, weed killer.. I only burned it when I was getting 3-5 gallons a day from customers equipment.. it's why they were usually there.. old gas..

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I already give Unkle enough money.
I think about that almost every time that I pump gas. In our state, it is 49 cents a gallon in taxes. I filled up my trusty Chevy last night. I pumped 12 gallons, which was about $6 in taxes.

I'd love to have a Chevy Volt or a Tesla. .

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I would just add the 18 month old gas to a nearly full tank in my car, truck, farm tractor and maybe add a bit of sea foam to the mix per the directions.

Some where on the net I saw a thing on how many miles you had to drive a volt to make it cheaper than a gas model car. Seems it was in the area of 75,000 miles a year. Even when you figure in the tax advantage for buying an electric car.

:D Al

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
I just emptied a tank off a early 80's motor coach I scrapped out.
Both tanks where full and at least mid 80's vintage...

I had to use a compressor to push it out, smells nasty but been putting through the lawn tractor. Need a shoot of good gas in the carb but once its fired up no issues.

Just about got one tank gone...

In a car or truck with all the sensors , well no... but a small engine?

I think it runs better then that ethanol crap I buy fresh...

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I wonder how the old gas would do in an old engine, like a 1940's Farmall, especially if you mixed it with new gas?

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
............I would Never mix old , decomposed , gas with good gas in my trucks tank . Old Gas is NOT gasoline , it is some kind of completely altered chemical that could really screw up the precise metering fuel injection systems installed on cars today . , fordy:coffee:

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took it to the hazardous waste disposal site at our landfill.

·
fuzzball in the Cascades
639 Posts
I wonder how the old gas would do in an old engine, like a 1940's Farmall, especially if you mixed it with new gas?
I run it in a Farmall cub. The cub will run on anything that is flamable. Another idea is mix it with a well known plastic foam "peanut", you get a very good home made napalm. :stirpot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts