Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have inherited and old set of dressers and would like to know roughly how old they may be. They are tiger oak, beveled mirrors and have wooden rollers...and the rollers are all still whole and round! I'm thinkin' the wooden rollers may be the key to to dating them??? Any ideas? Thanks!

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
I'm no expert, but tiger oak is typically late Victorian. Any chance you could post a picture?

·
Registered
762 Posts
First look at the corners of the drawers how are they constructed, dove tails is good., If they are all very uniform and evenly spaced that is one thing if not perfectly spaced even better., waiting for the infro and that will tell us where to go to from here,

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Curved front? Ornate decoration? Plain? Veneer surface? Solid wood?

Without a picture, it is kind of like saying "I have an old car with rubber tires and glass windows. How old is it?"

Clove

·
Premium Member
42,681 Posts
Old furniture is fairly easy to date, just be yourself, be polite, buy a couple drinks and most important, respect them in the morning. ;)

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I forgot to mention that your library should have several books on the different periods of furniture.
Clove

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
If you take a picture of the dresser from the front, as well as one from the back, and an open drawer, an antique dealer who moves furniture may be able to tell you.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Humm....I guess the wood tiny rollers aren't much help after all. It was at the 'youngest' my great grandmothers....placing it at least late 1800's-early 1900. It has dove tailed drawers, veneer, and it is not curved. Probably the 'plain' furniture of its day. Thanks everyone. I will see what the library has for info. (I had a picture in photobucket but it has vanished and it would take about 15 minutes to reload it)

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Ann-
I am going to guess you are right about the dating. The wood rollers could be a misnomer. I bought a box of hardware from an estate that included a brand new, never used set of wood rollers. While they could be original, they could have also been added in the past 25 years.
Clove

·
Premium Member
42,681 Posts
Find an old Sears catalog - one of the reprints from the turn of the century. Good chance you will find the piece of furniture pictured there.
Yup, from the sound of it, it sure sounds like it should be in that 1902 sears and roebucks catalog that was reprinted and circulated a few years back. It should be in there for around 10 bucks or so. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts