How to "cull" tiny bunnies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SherryB, Jan 28, 2013.

1. SherryB

SherryB Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie so I'm looking for input please. How is the best way to "cull" tiny bunnies? I just let one succumb over the course of several hours on it's own because I wasn't sure how best to end it's suffering.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

You could probably take a pencil or a stick, and do a tiny version of broomstick method. Be warned that you'll probably just pop the entire head off though.

3. bluefish

bluefish Wait................what?

I just take them and bang their little heads against a pole or rail or something. You don't have to bang very hard, but more than a tap.

Caprice Acres and rabbitgeek like this.
  4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

This is what I do, too. It's fast, humane, imposible to mess up. I usually do 2 quick bops on something, firmly. They WILL have reflexive movement but the skull is destroyed and the brains are scrambled.

rabbitgeek likes this.
  5. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Well-Known Member Supporter

skull between my boot and ground or something solid and apply pressure. no need for a stomp or anything extreme. just enough pressure that the skull is crushed.

6. BroodCoop

BroodCoop Well-Known Member

This sounds easier than what I have done. It is a little trickier but I whack 'em in the head like any rabbit.
    They are so cute I hate to do it but sooner is better than later.

7. Dead Rabbit

yup whacking on the head, you have to look and see what your doing, and you watch the whole process. this may bother some. using the "boot to the head" method my be easier for those that are more kind hearted. even after youve done the deed, they just look like sleeping lil kits. theres no real visible damage.

rabbitgeek likes this.
  8. Fat Man

Fat Man Well-Known Member

Rapid deceleration. Put them in a pillow case and give it a fast swing and hit something hard.

9. rabbitgeek

rabbitgeek Well-Known Member Supporter

Put them in a little plastic baggie, then bonk the back of the heads on the edge of a table or counter or washing machine, something very hard.

Then after they are stunned I'll put the baggie in the freezer and donate it to the wildlife care association or give to reptile feeders.

Have a good day!

10. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually just toss (not literally) them to the dog if they are a week or less. One crunch, one swallow and its done.

arnie likes this.
  11. Dead Rabbit

i have a friend that will take any like these or any of the still borns. she sells them to reptile people for $ .25 apiece

12. notbutanapron

notbutanapron Ned Kelly's Trainer

One, I just have to say this is funny:

Your dead rabbits are replying!! Run for the hills!!

Two: I cut their heads off.

Three: Hope the above wasn't offensive. I don't mean to be flippant. I'm sure it's not easy not knowing what to do.

Narshalla likes this.
  13. GBov

GBov Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a pair of hand held pruners, the kind used for roses adn the like.

One snip behind the head and they are dead.

Baby bunnies seem to move a lot more than older ones when fresh dead though, that surprised me.

I found that out when I went out to check on a first time mother one morning to find that she had had the kits on the wire. That wasnt the problem as it was a warm enough morning for them to still be alive. The problem was a raccoon had grabbed each leg that fell through the bottom wire and pulled it off...............

Not the best way to start a morning.

Had to put each leggless baby down.

They were still moving several min. later.

Very sad, very sad morning.

But knowing what to do and HOW TO DO IT made it that little bit better.

14. SherryB

SherryB Well-Known Member

Good suggestions. I really wanted to call at work and have him do it but that is SO p-i-t-i-f-u-l. So, that's why I asked. Some of your suggestions I can probably do. My first thought before I asked was to step on it so at least my natural reaction was something one of you follows. I also like the idea of feeding it to a dog, but my dog is not really a dog. It's more of a dust mop and is dumber than a box of rocks.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

15. jolly rabbit

jolly rabbit Well-Known Member

i put them in a ziploc and knock them on the back of the head with a craftsman screwdriver handle, pretty easy, then just toss the whole bag no mess.

16. MamaSheepdog

MamaSheepdog Active Member

Sorry about your kit. :(

I used to dispatch mice for reptile feed by putting them in a paper bag and whacking it against a wall. It is very quick, and you don't have to see them until it is all over.