Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 23 hens, all hatched in February, so about 9ish months old. My husband has just recently decided that he'd rather not keep more than a dozen or so over the winter, since we'd be out a lot in feed without much return (eggs). At this point, I assume they'll be tougher than we're used to. How do you cook them? Slow cooker? Any tips?

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Old hens get the pressure cooker. 9 months old cook anyway you like, slow. We like baked in oven, preheat to 500 and turn down to 325. A brush of butter and some Mrs. Dash. We like Buff Orpington pullets at 8 mos old, roosters at 6 all free ranged with a little oats and wheat for scratch. Nice sold meat, we don't like the soft fat, meat birds....James

·
Premium Member
25,239 Posts
Crock pot or pressure cooker.

What makes him think they won't be worth the feed? True, you won't get many eggs from now until about mid February but come the first of March you'll have more eggs than you know what to do with.

Personally I would wait until next year to butcher (or sell) them but that's just me. My grandma used a 3 year program. Hens lay for 3 years then get the pressure cooker treatment.

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
Why don't you keep them all and sell your extra eggs to make money for the feed? 23 hens will give you about 13 doz eggs per week, so at $2.50 - 3. a doz for 12 doz gives you a profit of at least $30. a week. More then enough to buy chicken feed for them all. (think roughly 2 lb feed per hen per week is 50 lb)
Or sell the hens! Lots of smart people look for pullets at this time of year because they don't have to raise them to the POL themselves.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
9 month old birds are babies!
An old bird is 6 or 7 years old. That's what we are eating this year. :)
A 9 month old bird will be very tender... if you remember to let it rest for 3 days before eating or freezing the meat.

And I use a covered roasting pan, a little water in the bottom and low and slow in the oven.
Tender and juicy every time, even the very old birds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts