How to clean ties

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nax, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I wear ties, but can't afford to have them dry cleaned. Does anybody use a product or have a method for cleaning them? or can venture a guess on how I might do it?

2. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

My wife suggested this link: http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/4026/clean.html

But I'm still wondering why anyone would wear a necktie! I set my own fashion trend! LOL...

3. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Have you checked into the home dry cleaning product that goes in your dryer? My mother wears a lot of dry clean only things, and she swears by it. I'm not sure of the name, but I've seen it near the laundry soap at the store. When I worked in a bridal shop, we kept a bottle of dry cleaning solution for spot cleaning. You just dab a bit of solution on the spot and let it airdry. The stuff is really toxic, though, so you have to be careful. I'm not sure where they bought it. Maybe Sam's Club? Best of luck!

4. Loriann1971

Loriann1971 Well-Known Member Supporter

This is going to sound crazy, but I spot clean my husband's ties with baby wipes. When my daughter was born, she spit up quite a bit and I learned early on that baby wipes are great stain fighters!

5. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

I use baby wipes to clean DH's ties that he wears to church. I just wipe the tie very gently and then let it air dry. In order to make sure the tie doesn't spot, I wipe the entire tie with the baby wipe.

6. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I think that stuff is called "Dryel", isn't it? I wouldn't breathe it, though.

If'n it can't be tossed in the wash (or, as a last resort, washed in the sink with baby shampoo), I don't buy it or give it to a thrift store!

(Yeah, I'm lazy :D)