How to catch a coon!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by famer_manda, Aug 29, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I have declared war upon the chicken eating raccoons but after a week of trying I haven't caught anything yet. I tried raw bacon, and I also left a chicken in there for two days that the raccoon killed but ended up leaving behind. Nothing!!

What else could I do? I really want to catch this booger!

2. kinderfeld

kinderfeld Well-Known Member

3. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    Try dry cat food, even fresh fruit like plums in your trap. We have lots of coons here and they went wild over both things. They come into the house for the cat food.

4. famer_manda

I am using one of those large live traps from TSC . Maybe they are too smart than to go in there?

5. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

Blue Streak fly bait mixed with Coke or Mt Dew will knock them deadern slop

12 in the last month off of one baiting. :hobbyhors

6. famer_manda

Where do you get the fly bait? TSC? I sorta wanted to catch it in my trap so i could skin it for a hat for my son. Could I still do that if they drop dead before i find them? Where would I put the mixture? Just a bit off in the woods.. What would it do to the neighbors wandering dog?

7. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

8. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

Try baiting your live trap with a few cracked eggs.

9. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

can of sardines or tuna

10. famer_manda

Could a few cracked eggs be what lured the coon here in thef irst place? I tossed some rotten eggs into the woods. We went a long time without any predator losses and then it just seems to be relentless lately

11. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

scrambled eggs and peanut butter. Works with my hav-a-hart trap. But you may get possums too.

12. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of the time a Raccoon would prefer not to eat Rotting flesh. Try something sweet for bait--like a Honey Bun--thats all I use if I want to catch them live. I wish you had my dog for one night---if he don't catch him-----He will show you what tree he climbs. He checks around my chicken yard every night---some times walking up with one(Raccoon/possum) in his mouth. See if you can find a Local Coon Hunter with a good Coon Dog. Good Luck!! Randy

13. oldnndway

oldnndway Member

Find where they are getting into your chicken coop or pen at (should be easy to find) and set a #2 leghold style trap there, lightly covered with dirt.
    Just dig out a depression large enough to set the trap level with the surrounding ground, put the set (and staked) trap in it and sift dirt over it until it doesn't look any different than the surroundings.
    Should be able to get a trap at the feed store or a hardware store.
    I can usually catch one on the first night I try if they are coming regularly.

Coons usually leave a pretty good bit of sign where they have been and aren't hard to trap at all.
    Don't know about using a box trap though...can't blame him for not going in there.

14. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

I've caught several this way. Did have a problem with something getting in the metal trap, then turning it over and getting out. Solved that with rebar driven down in ground alongside trap. can't turn over now.
    Possums will eat chickens, I know firsthand. They like marshmallows. Bothered me at first to shoot with 22 rifle; I just shoot in the head, walk back in house; go back out in about an hour; can't stand that thrashing about :)

15. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My good dog decided to retire this year, with BAAD results for the hens! :Bawling: He is 13 years old, and he simply decided that this year he was going to sleep in the shade.

I got good success with a Hav-A-Hart trap, baited with dry cat food. The first thing I caught was my son's cat, but after that Monkey D. Loofy was smart enough to stay away from it. (And, yes, my son DID choose the name for him! :p )

The first 2 coons I caught were youngsters, and I knew that they didn't have the strength to get into the chicken house and carry a hen up the wall to the access point so I continued to set the trap.

I eventually caught what I believe to be the Mother coon, and I haven't lost a chicken since.

16. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

How I catch mine:

The bait has to be something sweet. Other things work, but sweet is irresistable to coons. I use cookies. One piece just outside of the open trap, a little bit larger piece just inside the trap ( but reachable) a bigger piece on the trigger, and a whole cookie at the back of the trap.

If they can keep getting pieces without getting caught they will keep going in until they are all the way in.

17. Paul72

Paul72 Well-Known Member

Manda-
    We had a large raccoon problem several years ago when we lived in Wisconsin, my best success was with about a tablespoon or 2 of tuna or seafood flavored canned catfood with 1 or 2 sardines placed in the trap, that year, 2002 (i think) we trapped 22 in 1 summer with that combination, worked well for us!-----Paul

18. freegal

freegal Well-Known Member Supporter

We had to buy a heavy-duty live trap because some of the larger coons could break out of the Havahart traps. We use dry dog food for bait, it works very well and we don't end up trapping the cats! Good luck!

19. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

We had a neighbor (in the Chicago area) who raises raccoons for an animal rescue facility. Their favorite foods were fresh sweet corn, avocado, fruit of most any type, fish and most sweet bakery items. They also loved dry dog or cat food.

Debbie

20. Saffron

Saffron Well-Known Member Supporter

We just fixed our current coon problem. Darn thing was coming over the roof of the chicken pen so we couldn't set a trap up there, but found the tree he was climbing and set the live trap near it. Caught a possum first and the coon would eat the cat food and not trip the trap. So we got a neck bone and tied it to the cage - kind of suspended it but so he had to fight to get it. Worked like a charm. I was sitting in the truck just in case he didn't go for the trap, but he did. I was glad to catch him too. He killed 31 chickens (all my silkies, cochin mamas, and new hatched babies) before we caught him. I like coons, but good riddance in this case.