Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I goofed up here a bit, but it you will follow the link that follows, I believe that it will show anyone that has the welding and mechanical ability and the tools required, and would like to tackle a project such as this, to go ahead and order this mans book.
The link is www.WoodGasifierPlans.com
Now I found the sight on the U-Tube sight and it had seven parts to it and it is really a great site but I copied the www.- Etc, down and when I tried to pull it up I didn't get the same videos that I had watched, but I'll tell you that if you can work the computer better than I and can find what I watched, it's a really great set of videos.
It doesn't show nearly enough to build one but it shows enough to know that it is a danged great idea.

As many of you already know, I am already building a boiler to heat the house, shop, green house, and possibly another residence or two, (and I still promise to get the pictures on here sooner or later) and you probably already know that I am cooling the house with spring water, and also that I plan on building a tractor from scratch using an 18 H.P. engine that I already have and a automobile rear end and either one or two transmissions.
Now after looking at that video, it sure would be cool as all get out to power this little home made tractor from wood, Huh?

I am a bit further on the work on the boiler than I realized I was, or I guess it is just that putting the two halves of the pipe manifolds into the firebox is going a heck of a lot easier and faster then I ever thought it would, and I thank Jesus Christ for that but, well it is coming around just a lot quicker then I thought that it would. :bouncy:
I'll tell ya. I know the Air conditioner I have going now simply looks like a jury rigged contraption setting in the living room floor, and I really want to get it built right and set upstairs so it will work better and also I just want it to look really nice, but I need to do some other things first.

And I have finally made up my mind!
The next project will definitely be the tractor. And with the utility bill cut down to less than $100 a month, and counting the water powered Air Conditioner that has saved me several hundred dollars this summer regardless of its looks, LOL, that will give me an extra $150 to over $500 a month during the winter that I can use to help me build other things that will also help me save even more money down the road.

Ok, the tractor is a for sure thing, but, with the land that my land lord will let me plant, I have to decide whether to grow sunflowers to produce diesel fuel, or build the Wood -gasifier to use wood for fuel.

What do you all think would be the best way to go there? I do like the idea of the fact that if I can see a tree, I actually see a tank of fuel. That is going to be a hard one for the diesel fuel to beat.
I mean the Gasifier can be mounted in the back of a truck if need be. As far as that goes, thinking back to looking at much of the videos I saw, I'm not sure if that isn't a given for using one anyway. I'll have to look into that more. If that is the case, I'd have to build one for each of the vehicles, including the tractor that I'd use it for. :smack

Anyway, for those of you who are shooting for total self sufficiency, this is a great possibility in IMHO.

Godspeed

Ranger

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Gassification is a topic of interest and I have devoured much info in the last 6 years or so.

I don't know if you really need that book.

Its pretty straight forward.

One thing I will share is you only get about half HP from woodgas.
I think you could get significant improvement if you could cool the gas completely.
I could be wrong on that my logic is that heat expands and cold contracts.
So the warmer the gas the less dense the power potential.
I also think it would be a plus on the cleaning of the gas, as the gas cools a lot of junk that the filters missed would drop out, but that in its self could lead to loss of power. I have yet to find out.

Your better off brazing your gassifier then welding.

You will also want to have thermal barriers between components.

As far as I have gotten with mine is posted up on here some where.
I have a mercruiser 120hp engine converted to stationary application.
If I ever get the gassifier done and it runs the engine, then its will be time to
find a 30k alternator.

I took a few Ideas from here and there then added my own, the hold up is a couple tanks of gas to braze the darn thing because I'm a terrible welder and all my welds are porous.

one more thing you should keep in mind is the size of your reactor is proportional to your engine, if you look that info is freely available.

you should also check out wayne keith he does some interesting stuff with wood gas, and participated in a study with a collage, they burned various stuff in the gassifier and have mileage results as well as other data.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've always liked the idea of a gassifier, however years ago when i was looking into them it seemed that most "home" sized units required small chunks of wood to function properly. If you were not lucky enough to have a free or cheap source of wood chunks it required a lot of energy to get your wood to that point. Has this changed with more recent designs?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Downhome, for the reply and the videos too. They were pretty good there. I studied on the subject some, but not nearly as much ass you have back about ten years ago, but I was doing it to learn to make charcoal to melt aluminum to pour castings with.
I learned that you could stock up a barrel with wood chunks and start heating it with a propane stove until the wood began making the gas and then you could switch over and use that gas to continue to heat the wood until it ran out of gas and at that time you'd have good charcoal for melting the metals used to cast parts with.
But with the short amount of time I have looked into this now, I am actually wondering if it wouldn't be fairly easy to use one to generate electricity a few hours a day to be stored in battery banks and used until they needed recharging again.
Anyway, thanks again for the videos.

Godspeed

Ranger

·
5,439 Posts
That is not gassifing but rather destructive distillation.

I've been interested in alternative fuels for a long long time, since I was 12 or so.

I'm 40 now.

I looked at them all, alcohol,diesels with veg oil,wvo,and waste oil and other waste petrol (brake and trans fluid) heat from any flammable source for stirlings.

I really think that the best option is a gassifier.

In that university study they burned stuff besides wood.

If one where near a coal seam, it would a great thing as well.

Gassification was used before the petrol boom and the advent of electricity.

You know the old shows where they show someone sticking there head in the oven... its because of the co2 and carbon monoxide in the syngas.

They how ever used coal for production.

If you where not in a city with a gas plant, your option was a gas generator, not what you would think of today, it was a unit that sat some where on the farm and metered calcium carbide into a tank of water.

Calcium carbide and water produce Acetylene, which was used for the gas lamps.
perhaps cooking as well... Infos scarce on the topic.
I do know a few guys have been running engines on acetylene.
Little tricky compared to syngas though.

http://www.rexophone.com/?p=1372

I like the Idea though and you could in a spot make your own carbide.
Lime+Carbon+High Heat= Calcium Carbide.
though you could also have a few drums sitting and waiting for use as well...

Union Carbide is the worlds largest producer.

Only one thing I can think that is a contender for gassification is a biodigester.

Its not so practical for mobile applications but for heat/cooking/lighting gas or to run a generator its a win win kind of Idea.

there was however a guy named Harold Bates that was a early pioneer into Biogas, he used a high pressure compressor to fill bottles for his car.

Of coarse you need waste to produce the gas...

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
carbide was used 100 years ago to produce gas light in rural homes, now as then, expensive, dangerous.

the going price for a quart can of it is about $30 plus the $20 haz transport fee.

but if you had vast quantities of it the price would go down drastically.

the wood chopper used will probably burn more gasification fuel than it would produce. but is a great interest to watch.

energy out = energy in. - energy loss

·
5,439 Posts
If you read the replies you will see where keith addresses this.

Its actually a diesel but can chunk enough wood to fuel his vehicles for a few thousand miles on a gallon or two of diesel.

(from the comments section posted by wayne) "However a gallon of diesel will power the tractor long enough to process 6-8 thousand pounds of wood"

I'm sure if it was set to run syngas you would see a return on your fuel...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dowmhome, I hate sounding like an idiot, but I actually am from time to time.
What in the world is sungas??
I lived in a long ago up on White oak Mountain in the middle of nowhere in a trailer my partner owned and he had several of the old miners helmets with the carbide lights on them but he never got any carbide to show me how they worked and what he told me about them was all I ever learned about them.
I was unaware that the carbide and water actually produced acetylene gas.
D you have any figures on how much carbide it takes to produce enough gas to fill up an acetylene tank for a cutting torch, and if so, I wonder what a compressor would cost to fill a tank with it?
It seems to be a lot of fuel around that I never knew anything about.
Thanks again.

Godspeed

Ranger

·
5,439 Posts
No not Acetylene, thats produced as used by the gas generator.

The gas I spoke of being compressed was methane, still dont want to be a idiot about it though

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
Badford have you explored the Wayne Keith site "driveonwood.com" ?
I suspect a couple of us here are members there. There are lot of resources there.

Is anybody here familiar with both the WK gasifier and the Ben Peterson plans?

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
No not Acetylene, thats produced as used by the gas generator.

The gas I spoke of being compressed was methane, still dont want to be a idiot about it though

Understood, another poster mentioned compressing of carbide/water produced acetylene for low volume storage. An act if incorrectly done will make the front page and one other page of newspapers.

"D you have any figures on how much carbide it takes to produce enough gas to fill up an acetylene tank for a cutting torch, and if so, I wonder what a compressor would cost to fill a tank with it?"

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Acetylene is a different animal. For those not familiar with it, the high pressure tanks of acetylene don't store acetylene by itself. The acetylene is forced under pressure into the storage matrix. Fullers earth and acetone come to mind. The inspection of acetylene tanks involves more than just a hydro.

There's a reason acetylene tanks should never be stored in any position other than vertical.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I hate to keep diverting strings. but to save a little money (for cutting operations) LP and a lp cutting head can be used instead of act.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No, AmericanStand, I have never ran across that site but I will look it up. It sounds like he might have an informative site there and I'd really love to learn more about this subject.
As if I need another project to start on, LOL.
But thanks for the pointer anyway.
And, if the Good Lord will allow me to live another couple, 3 or 4 years in as good of health as I am in now, the way my mind is thinking right now since seeing this, I very well might be producing my own electricity using one in a few years if I know me, and if it's not too huge a problem, and I also I might also be cutting steel with it, even if I need to make the gas as I use it, LOL.

Godspeed

Ranger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts