Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using HotMail for a long time.

And I have been blocking senders and classifying emails as junk and creating rules to block spam senders for a long time.

But lately I have been getting spam that shows the sender as "Zip-HUD Homes".

But the sender has actually been:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

This:
------------------
Zip-HUD Homes [email protected]

-------------------

Creating a rule is apparently impossible because I have created a rule to block any sender whose name includes "Zip-HUD Homes".

It didn't stop the spam because that's not the sender's real address.

Anybody got any insight on how to block the sender(s)?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Are you accessing hotmail via webmail or an email program (outlook or thunderbird, etc.)?

·
Voice of Reason
53,022 Posts
I haven't seen that particular email, but I operate my own email server and email abuse goes in cycles. Spammers learn a new trick and it takes a little time to program a way to identify the new messages. It seldom take more than a week for the anti-spam software to react.

But it's really more of a problem for Hotmail to be concerned about, not you.

·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you accessing hotmail via webmail or an email program (outlook or thunderbird, etc.)?
I'm using free Outlook on 2 laptops and 1 desktop PCs.

I also access it on my Android phone using the phone's email app.

·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen that particular email, but I operate my own email server and email abuse goes in cycles. Spammers learn a new trick and it takes a little time to program a way to identify the new messages. It seldom take more than a week for the anti-spam software to react.

But it's really more of a problem for Hotmail to be concerned about, not you.
Thanks. I'll keep working from my end.

It's kind of similar to those "expiring car warranty" phone calls where they spoof a fake number that shows up in our phone's caller ID.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only content in the spam emails was a hot link---and the words appearing in the hot link changed from one email to another--- but the links seemed to always contain the word "homes".

So I quit trying to block the sender and just created a rule to block all emails containing the word "homes" in the body of the email.

That seems to be working.

Of course, if one of my friends sends me an email about homes, it will get blocked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts