How to become a certified Electrician

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Oct 26, 2004.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

How do you get certified as an electrician? Hubby is Electrical Engineer and thinks it might be very handy to have that knowledge/certification available to use, especially if we move.

thanks,

brural

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

around here you have to take a test that is put on by (I believe) the NEC (National electric code). If I recall correctly there is journeyman and master electrician position. You have to get the journeyman first. I don't think it's just passing a test though. I think you have to work for so long (sorry I don't know what amount of time) under someone else before you are elgible.

3. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man Member

Contact the local union hall. Not sure where you are in MA so here is the local for Boston:256 Freeport St., Dorchester MA 02122 (617)436-3710 B.M. is Richard P. Gambino He can give you the info.

4. Stillponds

Stillponds Active Member

Here is a link to the Mass state board of examiners http://www.mass.gov/dpl/boards/el/forms.htm
    Some states will allow an electrical engineer to forgo the testing for a master license, something to keep in mind when deciding where to move. If you are required to take the test one of the two or three day national electrical code seminars for master electrician will be money well spent. Eighty percent of the master electrician test takers fail on their first attempt.

5. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Her Husband's Electrical Engineering degree might satisfy the requirements, back in the late 80's I was told that in Texas, a holder of an EE degree could take the test for either an electrician or electrical contractor, I forget the details...

6. Here in Oklahoma you have to have 2 years of schooling and 2 years apprenticeship to receive a Journymans license. Four years journymans experience to recieve a Contractors license. Must pass exam to recieve license for each. Exams can be up to 6 hrs long and include shop test. In Arkansas after the apprenticeship you take a 2 hour written test to receive a Journymans license and it is good in several other states that do the same kind of testing. In Oklahoma no matter what other state or how many years you done electrical in that state, you still have to take the Oklahoma test to recieve your license. And use to in Missouri you didn't have to have a license at all, but I don't know if that is still the way or not.

I've worked in all 3 states doing electrical work.

7. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the info. that's some places to start and things to think about.

thanks again,

brural

8. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

Here in MI you have to be a registered apprentice for four years and have 8000 hours of experience working under a journeyman before you qualify to take the journeyman's exam. The exam is three hours long and less than 20% pass on their first attempt. You're allowed one more attempt before you need to provide proof of taking a study course before applying again.
    After you obtain your journeyman's license you need to work for two additional years (4000 hours) under a master electrician before you qualify to take your master's exam.
    In order to have an electrical contractor's license you must take an exam and either be a master electrician or have a master in your full time employ.
    All exams are given by the State of Michigan and are offered two to three times per year.