Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
What should I do then?
Jerry, do you have any other non-food related interests and hobbies that you can do mostly sitting down that keep you mentally stimulated and busy doing creative "traditional crafts" things with your hands? Do you have steady hands, good eye to hand coordination, dexterous fingers, a good eye for meticulous details and colour combinations, making measurements?

For examples - like traditional arts and handicrafts, sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, quilting, ribbon crafts, weaving and other work with fabrics/textiles/leathers, hat weaving, mat weaving, and other types of weaving and making practical household items with natural organic materials like grasses, twigs, straw, branches, bamboo, drawing, painting, sign making, jewelry making, beading, pottery, sculpture, fine small woodworking and carving utilitarian items by hand, bamboo-craft furnishings, etching, glass work, dried flower arranging, making wreaths and other decorations , etc., etc.

Are there any things on this following list below of traditional arts and crafts that you have done or are interested in doing? It doesn't list ALL of the handicrafts there are (the word handicrafts means occupations done manually with the hands) but it still has a lot of the most basic crafts in demand listed on it.

Arts and crafts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Jerry, do you have any other non-food related interests and hobbies that you can do mostly sitting down that keep you mentally stimulated and busy doing creative "traditional crafts" things with your hands? Do you have steady hands, good eye to hand coordination, dexterous fingers, a good eye for meticulous details and colour combinations, making measurements?

For examples - like traditional arts and handicrafts, sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, quilting, ribbon crafts, weaving and other work with fabrics/textiles/leathers, hat weaving, mat weaving, and other types of weaving and making practical household items with natural organic materials like grasses, twigs, straw, branches, bamboo, drawing, painting, sign making, jewelry making, beading, pottery, sculpture, fine small woodworking and carving utilitarian items by hand, bamboo-craft furnishings, etching, glass work, dried flower arranging, making wreaths and other decorations , etc., etc.

Are there any things on this following list below of traditional arts and crafts that you have done or are interested in doing? It doesn't list ALL of the handicrafts there are (the word handicrafts means occupations done manually with the hands) but it still has a lot uof the most basic crafts in demand listed on it.

Arts and crafts

As I said food is the utmost center of my universe. It grabs my attention more than any other thing out there.

I don't like decorations in general. I wholeheartedly believe decorations serves nothing more than room constipation while it just stands there looking pretty. I also don't live cross-stitch because there's nothing fun but practical about it. I want to weave post-shtf items for the sake of self-sufficiency

·
Sock puppet reinstated
28,262 Posts
Jerryberry.

Working directly with food will not help you one bit.

How about you list for us what you think your good points and bad points might be. We might just have people here that can help you work through what might help you move forward.

For example.

Are you a good typist?
Are you a good speller?
Do you work well with your hands? In other words, do things that require dexterity come easy to you?
Can you work through a math problem from start to finish easily?
If assigned a task can you finish it without getting distracted?

What other than food is exciting for you?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Jerryberry.

Working directly with food will not help you one bit.

How about you list for us what you think your good points and bad points might be. We might just have people here that can help you work through what might help you move forward.

For example.

Are you a good typist?
Are you a good speller?
Do you work well with your hands? In other words, do things that require dexterity come easy to you?
Can you work through a math problem from start to finish easily?
If assigned a task can you finish it without getting distracted?

What other than food is exciting for you?
I'm good at crocheting plain blankets. I wish I can start weaving post-shtf items soon. I'm not good at social skills though.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
28,262 Posts
Jerryberry.

You need to be a good at doing something. Something that will be a benefit to society now. Then if something happens you take the skills you have acquired and use them in the best way possible then.

So what skills are you going to learn now that will help you help others right now and can also be used later? Focus on the now, not the maybe. You need to learn that skill first before anything else.

So learning to weave is a good skill. What can you produce that people need right now that you can weave?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Jerryberry.

You need to be a good at doing something. Something that will be a benefit to society now. Then if something happens you take the skills you have acquired and use them in the best way possible then.

So what skills are you going to learn now that will help you help others right now and can also be used later? Focus on the now, not the maybe. You need to learn that skill first before anything else.

So learning to weave is a good skill. What can you produce that people need right now that you can weave?
What hand-woven items do people want most? It must be fun but practical. No decorations allowed!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Now we know that Paumon doesn’t have a grasp of non-neuro-typical folks, such as such as Jerry, who is autistic.

Paumon’s tirade was venting and accusing Jerry of behaviors as if they are intentional obfuscation. I don’t believe they are.
I've mentioned here before that I have spent my whole life living, working, raising and socializing with autistics and that I have worked professionally as a Life Skills Instructor for over 60 years with people on the autism spectrum and that my youngest child who is now 56 years old is autistic. I am fully familiar with the types of behaviours they are capable of displaying when it suits their purpose. I've also said before that Jerry is more clever than most here may believe. Yes, she is obfuscating and she needs other people to tell her straight. She wants to eat, that is her fixation, but she needs to understand that everybody wants to eat and without cooperation and practical effort on her part a time will come when she won't have anything to eat.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts