Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Jerryberry, have you considered an occupation that does not include food?

Maybe something online like research or coding? You are very determined and computer savvy and maybe you can find a niche that suits your abilities better. Have you ever done a career-type quiz or worked through something like that?
No. I'm not interested in computers. Besides, computer jobs won't be an ideal occupation during a long-term blackout.

·
Premium Member
34,524 Posts
Have you considered cake decorating? Not many people decorate cakes anymore. Stores here are always looking for someone that can write names with icing. I don't think it's hard work but I learned it when I was still pretty young. I don't do it because I can't stand bent over for hours.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I'm sorry the other program didn't work out for you. A lot of people jump into gardening without realizing how demanding it really is. I hope you find something you can do that you enjoy. Also I wish that you would be allowed to grow a few outdoor plants, even if it is restricted to a couple flower pots.
I'm still in the same occupational job program.

·
Premium Member
34,524 Posts
What is the ideal food-based job for autistics with mobility problems?
I think you will get further if you start asking "what is the best job for ME". Stop worrying about all the other autistics with mobility problems. Each individual will have different degrees of ability, mobility, interest and desire. If you focus more on what YOU want to do and accomplish your goals to independence, you will be able to guide another person on the same journey. It's kind of like trying to rescue a drowning person. Before you can help, you have to learn how to swim. You have a good start toward writing things out so others can understand them. Keep a detailed log of what steps you take to find that job or hobby that you love and can make a bit of money on.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Have you considered cake decorating? Not many people decorate cakes anymore. Stores here are always looking for someone that can write names with icing. I don't think it's hard work but I learned it when I was still pretty young. I don't do it because I can't stand bent over for hours.
No. That might not be for me. The one thing I'm afraid of being a baker is that impulse control of not eating the customer's food.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
28,303 Posts
No. That might not be for me. The one thing I'm afraid of being a baker is that impulse control of not eating the customer's food.
That is why I don't think a food related job is what you should be working towards. You need a job that takes your mind off of food.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The one fear I have becoming a farmer is that impulse control of eating the customer's food. What should I do HT?

Is there a such thing as a person becoming a farmer and a baker or should I choose one job?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
That is why I don't think a food related job is what you should be working towards. You need a job that takes your mind off of food.
Like what? I've been interested with food since preschool. I get there's more to life than food but still food is the center of my universe. I just don't know why it's just been a bedrock interest of mine for so long that non-food related jobs just don't grab my interest hard as food can.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
28,303 Posts
Like what? I've been interested with food since preschool. I get there's more to life than food but still food is the center of my universe. I just don't know why it's just been a bedrock interest of mine for so long that non-food related jobs just don't grab my interest hard as food can.
You are autistic. Obsessions are often part of that. Working directly with food may not be the best thing for you.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
The one fear I have becoming a farmer is that impulse control of eating the customer's food. What should I do HT?

Is there a such thing as a person becoming a farmer and a baker or should I choose one job?
A lot of people pick jobs that aren't necessarily something interesting to them, but can make them enough money to support their interests in their free time. I know also that a lot of people don't think that's the ideal way to do it, but for some people, making a job out of their interests can often make their interests less interesting.

You could do any job, and then have fun gardening or baking in your free time. You don't have to work in a food related field to continue enjoying your food related interests.

Just throwing that out there as...well, food for thought.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
46,095 Posts
Jerryberry, I agree with the idea of taking a career quiz.

If someone has the time, please find us one that doesn't have a pay wall. I just took one with LOTS of questions, and then they wanted a credit card. Nope.

·
Administrator
21,524 Posts

Being a farmer makes it a bit more difficult to eat your customer's food. You can grab a scoop of grain from a bin and chew on it but it's not refined or made into anything. It's just part of the process of becoming food. We did it all the time when I was a kid and I'm sure the birds consumed more wheat and flax than my cousins and I did.

If you're growing produce, the bit you're going to eat isn't going to affect a crop of lettuce, tomatoes, peppers or melons because you're going to lose a certain amount to spoilage. You'd be much healthier if you're snacking on produce than the refined foods you always post about.

What are you doing to control your food obsession/

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Jerryberry, I agree with the idea of taking a career quiz.

If someone has the time, please find us one that doesn't have a pay wall. I just took one with LOTS of questions, and then they wanted a credit card. Nope.

Will this help? A list of 10 occupational aptitude tests that are free.

Everybody who is thinking of what kind of career they want should always take several different occupational aptitude tests to help pin-point what is the exact best career for them to look into.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts

This is supposed to be a joke, okay. You could wear masking tape across your mouth with a medical mask over top of that so the masking tape isn't seen. 😷

And don't do any job that has you coming into contact with customers as part of the service.

Yeah, yeah, I know you never see the humour in any of my posts.

Although I'm not joking about not coming into contact with customers, because unless you wear opaque gloves permanently you will lose any customers if they catch a glimpse of the kind of damages that you do to your hands. They'll think you have a contagious disease and sure won't be wanting to eat any foods or buy other things that you prepare or touch with those hands.

·
Registered
20,039 Posts
Will this help? A list of 10 occupational aptitude tests that are free.

Everybody who is thinking of what kind of career they want should always take several different occupational aptitude tests to help pin-point what is the exact best career for them to look into.

7 out of 10 told me I should be a bot on a homestead forum.

I missed my calling.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts