Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,351 Posts
I believe this country needs an army of versatile farmers/community homesteaders who can plant, maintain and harvest crops regardless of situation.

Farmers/Community homesteaders should know how to work with/without tractors and advanced technology.
Every homesteader should be focused on being self-sufficient and off-grid.

That certainly seems to be the goal of our local homesteading community.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Can you show me locations that fit my description?
A homesteading community looks like this:

each homestead and the family living on it should be able to do the things it takes to feed and shelter themselves. This means caring for land, animals, clothing and food production and living without being on grid. Everything a person wants for a more comfortable life makes them weaker.

The homesteads in the area should all have a plan to help the others when times are hard collectively or indivualily.

This all sounds good but...it tends to go south overtime due to the greed and egos of people.
There is a small commune near Ithaca NY with the small houses in place, but the rules to live there are very restricting.
There are more NO's there than I care to entertain.
Look up Ecovillage in Ithaca and you will see how I feel.

·
Premium Member
34,549 Posts
@Jerryberry, have you ever read a book called The Stand by Stephen King? Maybe even The Lord of the Flies? Both books give you an idea of how quickly society can break down and in most cases it will be every one for himself. Every disaster brings out the good and the bad in people. In every disaster there are stories of neighbors helping each other and stories of thieves stealing and/or destroying stuff.

All that aside, in a true large scale disaster the food growers will not be able to produce enough without equipment to feed a large community. Some people will want to help, some people will want to be spoon fed, some people will steal food from the fields and the less than human "people" will destroy the crops just to hurt the rest of the population.

To provide enough food for a large community everyone will have to pitch in. Someone will have to be in charge and guide those who never before got their hands dirty. Someone will have to be in charge of rationing food so everybody gets enough to eat. Someone has to be in charge of bringing in water. Someone has to be in charge of rationing water.

Unfortunately our society has degraded to the point where most people demand someone take care of them. If there is ever a large scale disaster the people who can make do, will disappear and care for only themselves and the ones with them. They don't want to be shot over a bunch of carrots that the shooter has no intention of eating. You can't get people to stop killing each other over stupid crap now, it will be a million times worse if society collapses.

·
Shazbot!
6,625 Posts
@Jerryberry, have you ever read a book called The Stand by Stephen King? Maybe even The Lord of the Flies? Both books give you an idea of how quickly society can break down and in most cases it will be every one for himself. Every disaster brings out the good and the bad in people. In every disaster there are stories of neighbors helping each other and stories of thieves stealing and/or destroying stuff.

All that aside, in a true large scale disaster the food growers will not be able to produce enough without equipment to feed a large community. Some people will want to help, some people will want to be spoon fed, some people will steal food from the fields and the less than human "people" will destroy the crops just to hurt the rest of the population.

To provide enough food for a large community everyone will have to pitch in. Someone will have to be in charge and guide those who never before got their hands dirty. Someone will have to be in charge of rationing food so everybody gets enough to eat. Someone has to be in charge of bringing in water. Someone has to be in charge of rationing water.

Unfortunately our society has degraded to the point where most people demand someone take care of them. If there is ever a large scale disaster the people who can make do, will disappear and care for only themselves and the ones with them. They don't want to be shot over a bunch of carrots that the shooter has no intention of eating. You can't get people to stop killing each other over stupid crap now, it will be a million times worse if society collapses.
Bravo!

Well said

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Look at indigenous people history. As we sit and watch Roseanne and Dancing with the Stars, we tell each other stories about how brutal they were to each other. The truth is, they were usually fighting for food or territory that had food.

The Caddo Indian tribe wasn't war-like though. They weren't nomadic either. They built roads and had roots. The oldest hwy in north America was built by the Caddo. It stretches from San Augustine Florida to Mexico City. It's older than the Roman empire. They even had a republic type government. They were agricultural in nature.

The other Indians left them alone because when it got cold, they needed food and they bartered for it. Since the hwy went all the way to Mexico City, its assumed they even traded with the Mayans and Aztecs.

I don't know how to do what you are trying to do but it would seem that it takes a good amount of people all wanting the exact same thing. That's where I would start. Find like minded people and get-er-done.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I believe this country needs an army of versatile farmers/community homesteaders who can plant, maintain and harvest crops regardless of situation.

Farmers/Community homesteaders should know how to work with/without tractors and advanced technology.
There was an age when the US was an army of homesteaders. That was when most of our books were written that hold the information to guide and sustain our existence.
Unfortunately, without items like tractors, electricity and greenhouses, many of us would have been dead long ago.

·
Registered
762 Posts

Well, like the old saying goes "be the change you want to see in the world". So, be a homesteader who can plant, maintain and harvest with/without tractors and technology.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,162 Posts

I agree, the problem is how.

I think a couple of things that would encourage more local farms are more farmer's markets that actually sell food and more grocery stores that have the policy to buy a minimum percentage of local produce, dairy, and meat.

I used to have to drive about 75 miles round trip to buy grass-fed beef, pastured eggs, and NC or Gulf shrimp. I can get them all locally now, but rarely at 1 store.

There was a local guy who opened a fresh produce market and was doing fairly well. Then he let some of his women customers talk him into carrying a bunch of keto snack foods and bread. Within 6 months he was struggling because he had given up too much shelf space to low-profit items with low turnover.

He could have had a great business, but he moved away from what had made him successful. He and I split a side of beef several times. I would buy half and he would sell the other half in the store. He also had a seafood supplier that would drop off orders once a week, plus he raised chickens and produce to sell in the store.

What I am saying is if there is a market, the farmers will come.

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
187 Posts
My job is to take care of me and mine.

The community should prepare accordingly.
You're correct, of course. On the other hand, finding like-minded people and encouraging/helping them will mean that fewer barbarians will be watching your house for an opportunity to loot and pillage.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
Hollywood seems to always project the worst in 98% of people during such an "event". A handful of the good try to survive hand to mouth in a world of where the rest are just bent on murder and ill intent. I'm not denying the evil that exists, I am just putting it out there that there are plenty of good people willing to join together and process those barbarians, even before they have started peeping on you.

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
187 Posts
Hollywood seems to always project the worst in 98% of people during such an "event". A handful of the good try to survive hand to mouth in a world of where the rest are just bent on murder and ill intent. I'm not denying the evil that exists, I am just putting it out there that there are plenty of good people willing to join together and process those barbarians, even before they have started peeping on you.
Exactly. All the more reason to identify them in more peaceful times. Also, there are better opportunities for finding the proper ammo.

·
Registered
9,787 Posts
It’s not just Hollywood, though. There are some very insightful authors, like Forstchen and Kunstler, who have put some thoughtful work into very objective predictions of what would happen to our society if the electricity suddenly went out.

The focus of all these stories ends up being on those bent on murder and ill intent as foils to those who practiced self sufficiency prior to the collapse because, in relatively short order, the only survivors will be those who prepared and those psychopaths. The psychopaths will survive because they have no compunction against murdering and stealing from the unprepared masses in the middle. The unprepared masses in the middle won’t last very long because they don’t have much to sustain them, especially after the psychopaths are allowed to leech off them unchecked by any authority. With the unprepared largely gone, all that’s left are the remaining prepared and the remaining psychopaths.

If you want a pretty objective telling of what the experience of one of those “unprepared masses in the middle” would look like, check out McCarthy’s The Road. The protagonist does better than most, but he’s also got only one additional mouth to try to feed.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts