Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oy vey!

Just found out two nights ago that our friend, who always comes up from the Cities for deer season, is bringing his wife this year. Found out last night that she is allergic to cats, among other things. The last time she was here (2 years ago) we only had 2 cats and 3 dogs. This year we have three cats of our own, four big dogs, and two foster kittens. aaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Of course I am in a cleaning frenzy today, doing all the usual stuff- vacuuming and mopping the entire house, dusting everything, washing all the linens, dog bed covers, cleaning the kitten tower, etc. But, I wonder if there is anything else I can/should do to try to avoid problems related to her allergies? Poor girl, lol. Not only is she allergic to cats, but she isn't overly fond of dogs, either. They will be bringing their Lab with them, so we will have a grand total of 5 dogs and 5 cats in the house, lol.

·
Premium Member
7,117 Posts
Find a nice motel room for them?

Mon

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have really severe allergies to animals... all animals including anything feathered. There isn't any amount of cleaning you can do to avoid allergy attacks. She is just going to have to make sure she brings her allergy medicine and occasionally go outside to clear her sinuses. I wouldn't stress about it. If she knows you have animals, it's her responsibility to avoid attacks, not yours. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I agree, I am terrible allergic to cats, if I go visit someone I just realize I'm not going to breath well for awhile!!! Bring my rescue inhaler and hope for the best. No amount of cleaning will make any difference.

Alice

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I have really severe allergies to animals... all animals including anything feathered. There isn't any amount of cleaning you can do to avoid allergy attacks. She is just going to have to make sure she brings her allergy medicine and occasionally go outside to clear her sinuses. I wouldn't stress about it. If she knows you have animals, it's her responsibility to avoid attacks, not yours. Good luck!

Agreed! If she's extremely allergic, the best thing for her to do is get a motel room. My son is extremely allergic and he gets sick every time he visits us, even though he sleeps in a bedroom that is kept pet free. He only visits once a year now.

She's an adult. It's her responsibility to keep her allergies under control. Not much you can do about it except let her know in advance how many animals are in the house.

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
Yup, motel room.

My asthma doesn't tolerate unventilated cigarette smoke, so I have to limit the time spent at my mother's. Even if she isn't smokin', it's permeated everything around her.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
In order to be a generous host, you should shave your cats.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Oy vey!

Just found out two nights ago that our friend, who always comes up from the Cities for deer season, is bringing his wife this year. Found out last night that she is allergic to cats, among other things. The last time she was here (2 years ago) we only had 2 cats and 3 dogs. This year we have three cats of our own, four big dogs, and two foster kittens. aaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Of course I am in a cleaning frenzy today, doing all the usual stuff- vacuuming and mopping the entire house, dusting everything, washing all the linens, dog bed covers, cleaning the kitten tower, etc. But, I wonder if there is anything else I can/should do to try to avoid problems related to her allergies? Poor girl, lol. Not only is she allergic to cats, but she isn't overly fond of dogs, either. They will be bringing their Lab with them, so we will have a grand total of 5 dogs and 5 cats in the house, lol.
We have allergies, and do not feel that people that we visit have any obligation to DO anything about that. We bring medicines. She knows you have animals and she is coming anyway. I wouldn't worry.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Depending on how severe her allergies are, cleaning the room she will sleep in and keeping all the animals OUT of there might do the trick, if she takes medication.

Oggie will love this story, lol. I dated a man one time with two in house cats. He would vacuum the rug, the sofa, and the CATS before I came over. It really did help, removed loose dander from their coats you think?

hollym

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
In order to be a generous host, you should shave your cats.
That's funny! I can see the cat half covered in shaving cream when it gets slippery and gets away (I don't want to be anywhere near 5 cats with razor burn...shaving cream would be a must)! How would you explain that to the neighbors!

Anyways, buck to the OP...yep, cat allergies are something you can't clean for. The wife will just have to fend for herself and keep her meds near by.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Just be sure to warn her in advance then she can make her own decision how to deal with it. The warning is very important because if she's very allergic she could have a reaction that is life threatening. I'd also ask her if she has any other allergies you should be aware of such as food.

I'm not allergic to cats which is too bad because I don't care for them in the house, but I love dogs and I am allergic to them inside.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A truly gracious host wouls use depillatorys
aye aye aye!

My poor departed mother is gonna be rolling in her urn at the mere thought that her daughter might somehow fail to be a gracious hostess- horrors! But, I ain't using any of them dilapidaries on my cats!

Poor old Mom- she never did like cats.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
My SIL is allergic to cats and we have six, so when they are coming I clean, mop, wash the slip covers, and carpet,. I think the thing that helps the most is opening up the house the day they are coming and get as much air exchange as I can, and then I wash the cats! We do have a Hepa filter in the bedroom they use and he does fine. As much as I like my sil I do it because our DGD and DGS can't visit too often! Molly

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
aye aye aye!

My poor departed mother is gonna be rolling in her urn at the mere thought that her daughter might somehow fail to be a gracious hostess- horrors! But, I ain't using any of them dilapidaries on my cats!

Poor old Mom- she never did like cats.
Could always use dromedaries on the cats although that might get kind of messy.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
The best thing you can do is what your already doing, cleaning.

I wouldn't worry too much. If they are bringing thier dog with them, then obviously she may not have as severe an allergy as you may think.

the suggestion of the HEPA air filters is also good. We had one and it worked well for us.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
Another vote for a portable HEPA filter or two here. Ds has one he takes when we will be spending the night somewhere. Opening the windows could bring in outdoor allergens, is that going to be a problem for her?

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
They should get a motel. It isn't reasonable to expect you to remove the allergens from your home. It really isn't even possible. This is something she needs to deal with on a daily basis in her life.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts