Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay..last friday had a doe (mini rex) She weighs maybe two pounds. Bred her to a smallish buck (he was still bigger than her). She gave birth to five kits. one almost regular mini rex size, and four tiny, but perfectly shaped babies.

I've been bringing them into the house because they are so small. But they are not misshapen or peanut like looking, just perfectly shaped babies...about a good 1/3 smaller than any other mini rex babies I've ever had. She built a decent nest for them as well.

Would this just be due to the small size of the momma?

They seem too tiny to keep warm by themselves so I've been bringing them in the house at night 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. Will do so until they seem big enough or furred enough to stay warm on their own.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
I used to have a couple of very small 2 lb mini rex, they were peanut sized as babies but grew into perfect but small adults. Thats one of the reasons I do not like to cull peanuts, in case I make a mistake and its just a small but normal kit. There's a lady working on what she calls 'micro-rex', she's also working on Astrex. The little ones pop up from time to time, its just in the genes. Grow them out and see what you end up with, it''ll be interesting.

http://www.freewebs.com/lilysrabbitholewarren/uniquebreedsdoes.htm

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. I checked these littles ones over VERY carefully when they were born but they all seemed perfect physically (not like peanuts where you can see that they aren't right). And peanuts die quickly. These littles are TINY but growing. Just very cool. I bred this unpedigreed doe simply for her size...some of my girls are on the bigger end of the scale. I figured her genetics might help downsize my girlies a bit. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts