how they do that

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mberryrfd, Jun 3, 2006.

1. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

Well now the does seem to have learned that if they canget into the drive area there is a spot of chain link fence that is 5 ft high that they can push on the bottom of it and and WALLAH they are out in the pasture
    I even put barbwire on the bottom of it and that didnt stop them.
    My kids play in this spot so i cant exactly use hotwire guess i will have to refence that next

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I got home last night after being gone for 2 days at work and guess who meets me at the car, all 5 goats! I just found the spot in the fence that they got out of. I fixed it, hopefully. I have to be gone overnight one night a week for week. I don't want them out where coyotes can get to them.

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Never think you can out smart the goat. Someone once told me, The fence isn't there to keep the goats in, it is to keep the coyotes out:)

4. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

The fence isn't there to keep the goats in, it's there to keep the human busy.

5. boermommy

boermommy Boer goats and teenagers

I know what you mean.......looked out of the kitchen window last night and there were 5 babies eating my day lilies down to the ground. Took off running like scolded kids when I hit the front door fussing.

They KNOW what they are supposed to do or not do.

6. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

mine to seem to know when they are where they do not belong.
    I think I might soon have the chainlink fence problem licked
    I put barbwire along the bottom and that didnt work didnt seem to faze them.
    so I drove t-post down on the other side of it and it seems to be working

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I closed in a creep feeder (made out of pallets and a hog panel) and one of my does jumped in and ate the food. Then, I ran a strand of electric over the top of the lower hog panel and she still got in there between shocks. :grump: Sooo.... I took the electric fence handle and popped her with it a few times. Each time the electric snapped, she screamed and the kids bounced BUT she is still trying to get into the feeder area. :shrug:

8. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

:hobbyhors I just keep reminded my husband its time to move the fence line again. The goats have eaten their way out and over, the good stuff is on the other side. The fence is diffenitly to keep my husband busy.

9. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

I came home today to find my 4 month old kids running around the property eating all the weeds! LOL I know what my problem is. A small section of their pen fencing is an old wooden fence, the rest is chain link. They have learned that they can bash the wood loose and get free. My husband is CONSTANTLY trying to fix the problem, or at least make me think that he has come up with a temporary solution... like putting plywood up against the wooden fence and leaning the ladder against it to hold them up!!! MEN!!!!! What am I to do? LOL