Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Good for you newfieannie!
I'm in the office working. I woke up early and am doing paperwork until the sun stands up and says "Feed the critters."
Then I have a roof to put on a shed.
It will be a beautiful blue sky day in the high 60s. Why would I want to spend it on the couch or in a shopping mall?
I'll have pigs nudging my legs, chickens pecking my tools and two dogs laying outside the pen waiting for me to finish; even if it takes all day.

Regarding the OP- I have found dating to be difficult and complicated, especially for the last 22 years come February 14th.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I have gone beyond the point of compromise, I think. Got a plaque on the mantel, says,"Mi casa es Mi casa". When I think of getting into a relationship, I think about the ones I have been in, and, that is all it takes. Would like one, not willing to lose what I have managed to keep.

·
Registered
155 Posts
LOL; This threat makes relationships seem so complicated. They are NOT COMPLICATED. If you want a mate, COMPROMISE and be prepared to make changes. If you are a man remember that a woman must by nature give more than she gets out of a man-woman relationship, so be prepared to let her have her way so long as it does not bankrupt you or damage the family. You are only the protector and provider--SHE makes the family what it is. Remember that and your woman will follow you around like a puppy.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
I have gone beyond the point of compromise, I think. Got a plaque on the mantel, says,"Mi casa es Mi casa". When I think of getting into a relationship, I think about the ones I have been in, and, that is all it takes. Would like one, not willing to lose what I have managed to keep.
Proper thing Ed! i have known several men when my church would help at the food bank who lost everything they had due to a bad relationship. started drinking and went downhill from there. ended up on the street.

you don't think of it happening to a lawyer. but it happens in all walks of life. he eventually committed suicide. she's living it up in a condo in Panama City Beach!. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
A man I grew up with has been in contact with me recently. He was feeling sorry for himself. A lawyer, divorced 3 times. Major hit in the money department. He had broken a leg and wanted someone to cry to. I told him he should have both legs broken at the same time, find out he has chronic leukemia at the same time, have his GF leave him in a wheelchair. Develop lymphoma. All this after a heart attack, bypasses to the legs, losing home to fire, a divorce, forced retirement and myriad other things. Made him feel a lot better. He couldn't understand how I was HAPPY. The Lord just blessed me. What he took away, he replaced. One form or another.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
my god i'll never understand some women. to leave a man in a wheelchair or when they get cancer or when they get ED or lots of other things. i've heard it all. not to brag but i nursed 2 and a friend right to the end and there was nothing in the way of nursing that i didn't do.

yes i did leave one because he was so controlling but as soon as i found out he was sick back i went and took care of him. yes i'm likely stupid that way but i did it anyway. and i sleep well. ~Georgia

·
Registered
155 Posts
L:OL, Georgia, you girls just don't like to admit it but there are men who CAN keep a woman around for life. All the while the woman thinks she has a male love-slave. In the meantime the man gets a home, sll the sex he can stand, three meals a day, a nurse when he is sick, children (and in-laws) and someone to take messages when he is out.

All the man has to do is work like a dog to provide for his wife and children, make sure that they don't starve if he is killed or dies, think of some soft and sweet words a couple of times a day and three ti0mes on Sunday, be kind and friendly to, or at least tolerate, his in-laws, and do as his wife says---WITHIN LIMITS. Not al all hard for men with hair on their chests. The problems arise when the man fails to do his part.

Of course one must choose a decent woman---psychos, gold-diggers, the flagrantly amoral must be avoided. (Most men can tolerate a teensy bit of amorality before marriage)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My parents are celebrating 60 years of marriage next week, and set a good example for my brother, and I. He has been married for 37 years, and my wife, and I for 32 years...happy for most of them even with many health issues.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
My parents were married 60 years when Dad died. My divorce was final 28 days after my 32nd anniversary.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
my parents had many years also. i had over 40 myself and would still be with him if he had lived. actually i guess you could say he is still with me since he's in my bedroom in a can. ~Georgia

·
Registered
155 Posts
47 years, 5 mos and 21 days , then ten years going on eleven with this one. A lot of water under those bridges. LOL, Georgia; we have Barb's husband in a valise in a closet--he goes with us when we go.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Oh my stars Chuck! i didn't notice your last post on this thread. someone else like myself. i don't take him around where ever i go though. that's a bit much! but i brought him from the country to the condo and then here to this place. that's where he's staying.

i usually don't talk about it. people look at ya funny. if i remember correctly it was the queen of Castile Joanna who use to travel everywhere with her husbands coffin and most thought she was mad. ~Georgia

·
Registered
155 Posts
NO, GEORGIA----HE DOES NOT TRAVEL WTH US------I MEANT THAT HE WILL BE BURIED WITH US. LOL, HE WOULD LAUGH AT THE THOUGHT OF GOING TO TEXAS AND BACK---HE WAS WITH THE UN, WORLD HEALTH, AND TRAVELED AROU0ND THE WORLD.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Going on a first date is such an agonizing experience for me I gave it up a few years ago. Got tired of feeling like the hunk of meat in the big cat enclosure at the zoo.

Did decide to be a little snarky with one gentleman who was laying it on thick with a single-minded goal.

Told him I don't believe in pre-marital sex.

Only time I didn't insist about going dutch. He paid and was out of there in 15 minutes.

·
The Renegade...
1,842 Posts
my god i'll never understand some women. to leave a man in a wheelchair or when they get cancer or when they get ED or lots of other things. i've heard it all. not to brag but i nursed 2 and a friend right to the end and there was nothing in the way of nursing that i didn't do.

yes i did leave one because he was so controlling but as soon as i found out he was sick back i went and took care of him. yes i'm likely stupid that way but i did it anyway. and i sleep well. ~Georgia
Early December will be 18 years since I divorced my Ex due to her infidelity. I was heartbroken and have remained single until this day. I have dated a few times and even thought I had a chance at having a relationship,but things just weren’t meant to be.
Last week I learned that my Ex is in a nursing home just a stone’s throw from where we had lived together. She’s been a resident there for at least three years as I have been told.
She has been an insulin dependent diabetic for many years. I myself have carried her in my arms into the Emergency Room not knowing if she would live or die.
The person that she cheated on me with and later married knew of her diabetes.
As the disease progressed she required dialysis and later a kidney transplant. She eventually also had a stroke.
The individual she married threw her out into the street as if she was yesterday’s trash. I will never be able to understand how someone could treat their spouse in such a manner.

My heart is breaking all over again..

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
sosrry KK

Reactions: Kiamichi Kid

·
Registered
155 Posts
Kid--put it behind you and move on. People make choices, and sometimes those choices hurt other people. You have fine sons to be proud of and I suspect they would like to see you happy.

I carried a torch for years- She married for money, died alone and childless. I was routed around a disaster area. There are millions of GOOD women out there and it is nature's way for them to want to make a home with a man just as a man supports and defends his family. Pick one of rthem and make it work for both of you. Living alone is the pits---been there, done that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I realize most of these posts are from 2 months ago, but I'm throwing in on the subject anyway.
I got divorced in 2019. I left in March and scooted on into the wilds of the Missouri Ozarks to get away from ALL men for a time. Well wouldn't ya know it? A single man lived down the road! Being what my young adult children call "thirsty", he and I began a friendship that turned into a relationship. Come to find out being needy is a horrible way to find a partner and a mate. Turns out he was married. The wife was back up North. They were separated..... yada yada yada....tale as old as time.
I gave up my cabin and land to go in on a bigger piece of land with him so we could blend our homesteads. He supposedly gave up his place as well. About 4 months in, I get hurt at work. I had the full time pay for everything job and he had a handyman job. So he realizes he's gonna have to get a real job to pay for everything I was paying for. 2 1/2 months later I find out several things.....1. he's got another woman or two. 2. he hasn't been paying the land payment cuz it was in my name. and 3. he never gave up his place, just let me think he did.
So now I'm sitting in a travel trailer in the West Texas heat trying to start all over again. I'll be 51 next month so I've got time, but I haven't even looked cross eyed at a man in months and months. I run into men at the grocery store, the hardware store, walmart (when I absolutely have to go there) and the truck stop gas stations. There are more men here than I can shake a stick at! Oilfield and all... I did meet a man that I thought I might go out with and gave him my number. But then I remember what it was like last time and thought twice. He calls and texts me, but he's getting no milk out of this cow.
Moral of this long and probably boring story is Don't pick the first one outta the gate! Live your life and in the living if you come across one that's living the same way and is HONEST, give friendship a chance. Friends are great about helping out and being there for ya. They also like to pick mushrooms, if you meet the right friend!
Once you know you can be friends, work well together, and pick mushrooms, then maybe you can take it on inside and see if it translates to something else. Otherwise, just be happy being single. There's no one around to tell you what to do, when to do it, or how to do it. It's absolutely liberating! (although now I'm at a point where I would probably give someone a shot at friendship. I could use some help pounding these T posts!) LOL

41 - 60 of 67 Posts