Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I'm going with the you have your place I have mine.
Not interested in 24/7
I like my pups hiking fishing hunting etc
Not permission.
I'll do my thing you do yours
We can do X amount together but no keeping tabs on me what I'm doing with who or when or wherever
I'll return the favor

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
It would be nice to have someone to talk to, once in a while.especially with quarenteen hanging on! The farm gets lonely, but I sure dontvwant a husband

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have done very well with online dating. The pay services are better because they keep out the " riff-raff." I have dated women in the 2 areas I have lived, that I met online. You do have to be cautious, but you have to be with anyone you meet, today. There may be some disappointments, but there are in any dating. Some of the women I dated did not work out, but we are still friends ! I have been going with the same woman I met online, for 17 years. We both agree to not be interested in marriage. She has her place & I have mine, 30 miles away. I encouraged a shy widower to join a dating service 3 years ago. He was the most negative person about online dating, I have ever heard. He & his lady-friend he met online are very much in love & have been dating for over 2 years.

·
Premium Member
25,144 Posts
I dont know your age, but I can tell you, at 72, with the luck ive had, BY AND LARge WITH WOMEN, AND AFTER 49YRS ME AND cHERYL HAD FINALLY FILED AWAY OUR GRUDGES AND GOUGES, and lived in harmony monstly apart, that I WONT look for another woman for a keeper. I wouldnt mind running into one at the sale for conversation, even several at different months, but as for trying to put on the harness again and hoping for a together pull, Im done with that.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I would get settled in your new life, and start following your homesteading dream without even trying to attract a mate, otherwise, you will tend to look desperate. Once your life is in order, your whole persona/aura will be more pleasing, and calm.

·
Registered
155 Posts
LOL; I want to agree with those who say to give yourself some time. Death or divorce, give it at least a year. As to "sources", all I've seen mentioned will work, but I disagree with those who say "nothing on line". I dated women on Plenty "O Fish, found most of them sensible even if inot suitable. Then I read a piece by a psychologist who said the best candidates for older men were widows from good marriages. Found one ten years ago and she turned out to be one hell of a lot better than I had hoped.
Be careful of distances---if either of you are too far from family you lose contact. Remember too that you marry the entire package---you cannot ignore your kids nor she hers. Fair is fair in marriage as in sports. Then too, advice to OLD men is the same as for YOUNG men: YOU KEEPS 'EM THE SAME WAY YOU CATCHES 'EM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I appreciate all the advice, it seems I came to the right place. I do want to clear up that I am not desperate, just lonely, and there is a difference. I just wasn't sure how to go about getting back out there, if I even want to try at this point in my life. I do know what I want to do with my future and I have big plans. It may or may not work out like I planned, but I will just adjust fire and make a new plan. One thing I learned in the military is "flexicution" or being flexible and executing a new plan if the original plan doesn't work out. My plans do not currently include a woman in my life and I am looking forward to a new chapter in being alone. I know everything will work out in the end and if someone comes along, great, if not, no big deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Normally I am a very private person and it took me a bit to realize why I even started this thread. I suffer from low testosterone (common in men my age) and started this thread the day before my next bi-weekly shot. I think I was having a bit of a low emotional moment. I have since took my shot and feel much better. A friend told me that my testosterone was so low I was practically a woman. I had to laugh at that comment. He too suffers from low testosterone, so he knew what I was going through. So just wanted to explain why my tone was so sappy and emotional at the time. Hormone imbalance really sucks. Any other men out there have this same issue? How does it affect you?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Normally I am a very private person and it took me a bit to realize why I even started this thread. I suffer from low testosterone (common in men my age) and started this thread the day before my next bi-weekly shot. I think I was having a bit of a low emotional moment. I have since took my shot and feel much better. A friend told me that my testosterone was so low I was practically a woman. I had to laugh at that comment. He too suffers from low testosterone, so he knew what I was going through. So just wanted to explain why my tone was so sappy and emotional at the time. Hormone imbalance really sucks. Any other men out there have this same issue? How does it affect you?
Well, we now know you understand how hormone imbalance can wreak havoc on a woman's mental wellbeing.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,329 Posts
I have a good friend who has to take hormone suppression shots to prevent a return of prostate cancer. He has frequent hot flashes. :oops:

·
Premium Member
8,296 Posts
I had a very good work friend (lady) tell me when I retired: "Now you just beware of any grey haired grandma that show up at your door carrying a casserole."

I bought a couple of one month only subscriptions for oldies' websites--and she was right.

😳

I have contacted one who wants a travel companion, pen pal, friend. I'll see how it goes. I won't be going to any movies, ballrooms, or restaurants, or airplanes for now anyway--not until I get vaccinated. Pen pal, friend is all I can/will do for now.

geo

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Newfieannie, what's a bubble?
sorry Vickie i was offline for 3 days and didn't see this. dont you guys have bubbles? just means we can only have a certain amt of people that we can have around us. i'm not sure how many. last i heard it was 10. stiff fines being handed out if we go above that.

masks are also mandatory and social distancing. might be more today. i haven't been listening. i only have 2 in mine. my son and myself. ~Georgia

·
Registered
711 Posts
sorry Vickie i was offline for 3 days and didn't see this. dont you guys have bubbles? just means we can only have a certain amt of people that we can have around us. i'm not sure how many. last i heard it was 10. stiff fines being handed out if we go above that.

masks are also mandatory and social distancing. might be more today. i haven't been listening. i only have 2 in mine. my son and myself. ~Georgia
Bubbles, that is interesting! Can you elaborate a little more? Do any bubbles overlap as far as person to person contact?

What we have here might be similar or it might be way different. In my state we aren't supposed to have gatherings of more than 10 people, or something like that. The rules change so often I dont keep up anymore. I know at one point it was gatherings of over 10 people were not allowed. The 'bubbles' overlap a lot here which makes it kind of ineffective.

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
I probably have it but my wife and my doctor don't see the need for me to get any hormonal therapy. I currently have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and I'm on meds for that. I suspect that is the cause of some of my health issues. I also have gout issues. I have no idea what to look for in low testosterone.

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
In any case, I met my wife on Myspace then we moved to Facebook. We ended up meeting maybe 4 months after that and history was made. Been married for 14 years and have 2 kids.

·
Registered
667 Posts
This can be a very scary thing to face. I agree with all those who say to take some time for yourself. Go ahead and start the homestead you've looked forward to. There are habits, likes and dislikes that are already part of you and getting involved in a romance tends to blur that and we find ourselves sacrificing some of what we enjoy only to find it wasn't worth it. Enjoy foraging for mushrooms and all the things you love. Believe me, after a while on your own when someone questions anything dear to you it will send up red flags and you won't hesitate to "friend zone" the person. I once discussed hunting with a person I dated for a short time. I talked about loving the woods, nature and being able to put healthy food on the table for my children. His reply was to put an arm around me and say, "Well, maybe you won't have to do that anymore" in his most manly "I can provide all you need" tone. Needless to say he did not get another date and I had no hesitation in my decision. He wasn't my cup of tea. Had I dated him a few years earlier I might have compromised and then regretted it ever after. Figure you out and don't compromise on the things that are important to your happiness. It's ok to compromise on little things that may take a bit of effort but won't diminish your enjoyment of life.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
OMG! don't you just hate that? "why ever would you want to be out there digging and what not day and night when you have a beautiful home and every thing you need"?

why don't you just grass it all over or better yet get a condo and start the easy life. i almost threw up on that one! i had a condo and the "easy life" buddy and almost ended up in a straight jacket!

as far as i'm concerned this is the easy life. it's still only 6am and here i am just waiting for daylight so i can get out there and plant 200 bulbs for next spring. then i'm heading for the country and clean out my sheds etc. ~Georgia

21 - 40 of 67 Posts