How tall????

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ScorpionFlower, Jul 12, 2006.

1. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

How tall should corn be before it flowers??? I had a bunch flower while only about a foot high, others flower at about 2 feet, and some are now flowering at about 4 feet. I was told that if the plant is too short when it flowers it won't give proper corn.

2. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

.................................... :shrug:

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

What type is it? I've seen corn tassle at 2' in a drought year and then have the same type grow to 5' before it tassled in a good year. In the drought years yeild was low.

4. ScorpionFlower

I have white corn and yellow. Don't know anything more than that. I live in the desert, but I water 2 times a day, mulch, and put down clean fertilizer and plant soil mix from the store. I staggered the planting, but I have a bunch of my smaller plants already flowered and silking but my larger ones are just now starting to flower.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I know nothing about dry land farming. Here in northern Indiana the sweet corn puts up tassles when it is between 5 feet to 7 feet tall, depending on the variety planted. The real early 65 day type will tassle at about 3 or 4 feet. The ears on ours are usually over 4 feet high.

6. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Corn that tassels short generally does not produce well, but how short or stunted it is really depends on the variety. I plant an early corn that tassels around 4 foot and that is perfect for that variety but it would be very poor for my other op corn

7. ScorpionFlower

Well, I no longer am worrying about the short corn. LOL My truck broke down and I was out of alfalfa for the goats, so I just pulled all my short corn plants and fed them. They loved it and it freed up some room for other plantings. Now I'm wondering.... when do I know the corn is ready to harvest??? My now 5 ft high corn has all flowered and the silk is brown. It feels like the corn is starting to develop, but how can I tell when they are done? I didn't write down when I planted this batch so I have no way to calculate a harvest date.

8. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you want it for sweet corn or dry?

9. ScorpionFlower

Sweet. I want to either freeze or, if I have my canning supplies in time, can.

10. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

When the silk is brown i think its about done.I pulled some of mine last week cause the squirrels where getting it from one garden.Most of it looked done.Some under developed.And an ear or two was starting to wrinkle (dry).But i think it had went as far as it could.Silk had been brown for a week.
    Only way i no of to be sure is to pull an ear off,remove the husk,and have a look. :shrug:

Not enough water or nutrients will cause short corn that doesn't do well.
    Ive never raised good corn.And would have given up.But after doing some reading and moving this year,i decided to try once more.
    Corn is a nitrogen hog.I read it needs fertilizing twice. Once when planting, and once when it is almost ready to flower.
    Well i only done mine once as i couldn't get anything but 15x15x15 fertilizer (which is pretty hot) when i was ready to plant this year.My Silver Queen (white) corn is 8ft tall this year. :dance: I never did get a chance to get a fertilizer that was suitable for the second dosing.
    I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it organic though.Lots of chicken poo id guess.

Any pros want to offer more info on the brown silk? Or when its time.

11. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

AFter the silks turn dead brown--take a few off and check it. It's usually ready, if they are really dead, brown, dry looking.

12. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

For harvesting fresh, it's best when at the "milk" stage. Squish a kernel and if the juice inside is white, it's ready! Try to pick and preserve (can or freeze) the same day, as the sugar converts to starch really quickly.