How soon

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TnMtngirl, Feb 24, 2005.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

can a dog come into heat after having pups?This dog is not a year old yet,she had pups jan.19.There is blood coming from her,not much but noticeable.I simply cannot go through this again,she is not my dog and the owner does not care.They havent even ask about her since they turned her loose and she came here to live.I havent noticed the male dogs getting friendly with her,could it just be something that happens soon after giving birth?Mary

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i would call animal control and have them picked up.

3. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

She SHOULDN"T be in heat. It doesn't mean she isn't. If she is spotting, she may have something else going on that requires veterinary care. Basically, I'd get the dog to a vet. If she's living with you, I'd say she's your dog now. ;) Good luck with her! Might also be a good time to schedule a spay operation.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. If she's living with you and you are feeding her, then she's your dog. Please get her to a vet. She's just a puppy.

5. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Animals after birth can have a heat cycle. It is usually very brief, can occur after birth or 48 hrs after birth, sometimes a little longer. And usually lasts anywhere between 12-24hrs. Animals can become pregnant at this time, not very likely but it is possible. However spotting is common after birth, but if this continues longer then a day I would take the dog to the vet. I know you feel it isn't your burden but if the puppies end up without a momma if there are complications of some sort, that is a big responsibility. I would get her spayed, and she can be spayed while still lactating usually without any soreness for the pups, if you do this I would wait for the puppies to be at least 2 weeks where they can go a little longer without milk, due to surgery time and for anesthesia to pass through her. The best option is to wait until they are weaned though, but don't wait too long afterwards she could come into heat again soon afterwards as is sometime possible.

6. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

They have discharge sometimes for 3-4 wks after the pups. It is from having pups. Bright red color is normal, but make sure there is no foul odor. It should stop, and clear up really soon. If you had amoxicillian, I would give her 1 a day. The pups nursing makes the uterous contract, thus cleaning out the womb. Does she eat good, and feeling good and active? Feel inside of her mouth and ears, to check for fever/too hot. Make sure her bags stay soft, and there is no hardness or heat there. Check all her teats to be sure the milk is white, and no browness. Amoxicillian is so great for nursing moms, it prevents any kind of mammorary problems.

The earliest I've seen them come into heat after pups is 2 months, which would be 4 months since their last heat, since they carry the pups 2 months. So she could come back in when the pups are 8 wks old, if she comes in early. Being around a male or another female in heat would sometimes do this.

7. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for all the information,she eats very well and is very active, also weaning the pups. I have been feeding them soft dog food for 2 weeks now.They are big puppies and she is a medium size maybe 20 lbs.She seems healthy enough,I saw her owner today and asked him to please help me find homes for them.But he has been in the hospital and a canidate for a liver transplant.May not get help there.We have spent a lot on these dogs and I will get her fixed I just cant do this again.Mary