How soon can you plant???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mrs_stuart, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

How soon can you plant?
    I have new asparagus crowns...
    strawberries...
    a raspberry bush
    a grape vine
    a black berry bush

I just found them a lowes of all places and went ahead and bought them because i had the money (and that is rare) and i was afraid that if i waited, they wouldn't have them later...
    So Back to my question, How soon should i plant them out of doors???
    I live in SW Missouri.
    any advice?

Thanks,
    Belinda

2. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

If these are all dormant, I would say now. After all, in the ground is where they will be this time next year. Might wanna mulch them good.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hey, thanks!

Lowes had them here in Kansas, also. The plants I bought had inch long shoots, so I put them outside to harden off. We are expecting a real cold snap in a few days.

I bough a purple raspberry and a grape.

4. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

Belinda, You need to learn what your zone is....and the setting out dates for the plants you intend to put out in your zone....but my guess is, that if they have them at Lowes....they're generally outside and ready to be planted....kathrynlmv

5. LindaT_AK

LindaT_AK Well-Known Member

How soon can I plant? This is the second year. I lived in Alaska all my life and gardened extensively, starting most everything at least 6 weeks ahead of time. First week of June is the earliers that you can plant most things up there.

Last year hubby decided to relocate and we moved to Northern Maine. Got here in july. No garden for me. It was hard. Now we are moving back, but at least on my homestead my garden spot will be ready. Just need to till it and plant. Can't wait. I just won't be able to start lots of things.
    Linda T.