How small of an opening is small enough?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dla, Oct 18, 2004.

1. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Well, after DD chased the piglets through the cornfields last Sunday, I was wondering how small I need to make the openings between the slats for when we have our own newborn litters in the future.
    Turns out the ones we had found a way to climb up on some brambles and JUMP.
    We put up electric fence at the top of the barrier and hope to put an end to that.
    Deb

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A crack 9 inches wide will allow pigs up to 200 pounds to walk through it. Used a gate with 9 inch vertical spaces between the boards to sort out the hogs ready to go to market.
    Look at the spacing in the wires in hog panels. They are about what it takes to keep pigs corraled. Pigs that still suck their momma won't stray too far from her pen. Of course they could wipe out your garden during their little walk-about.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

The slats on any of my pig pens that might hold piglets has gone from standard hog panels to 1 x 6 boards with 2 inches between them. The hog panels have 2 x 4 nailed across the lower larger squares. My piglets are born at 1.5 - 2 pounds and they can get through anything so this time I've thought ahead (I hope so :rolleyes: ) One of my next year's sows, Squeaker, can jump two feet to get over anything and she's about 25 pounds right now. Her alias is Houdini. And uncle Will is right about the garden :no: they also destroy landscaping in a couple of hours :no:

4. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Well, I think DD has taken all of the nightshade vines out of the area, so they can probably eat anything they want out there, but once they are in the corn fields, there is no hope what so ever! of catching them, only of letting them back in when they are done galivanting (sp?).
    Okay. Well everyone is enjoying the little squeakers, and once they've rooted up the area they are fenced into, we'll try training them to the electric fence.

Five inches for a two hundred pound animal?
    Shucks, I couldn't get through that! :eek:

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't say a 200 pound hog could go through a 9 inch crack. I never said 5 inches.
    I said a pig less than 200 pounds could go through a 9 inch vertical space. A 100 pound human is wider than a 200 pound hog. I know if you turn sideways you may or may not be narrower. hehe

6. dla

dla Well-Known Member

(sheepish shrug) Sorry, can't read OR type...