How rare are coopworth sheep?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Thumper/inOkla., Nov 3, 2004.

1. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Someone told me coopworth are hard to come by. Our animal shelter, ram looks like he could be a coopworth or a cheviot, but he has no black on his face just a few dark spots on his legs.

2. Craftyshepherdess

Craftyshepherdess Active Member

The Coopworth is a longwool sheep, developed in the 50's or 60's by crossing Romney ewes with a Border Leicester ram and then breeding the F1s on... Later, other white-faced ewes were added to widen the genetic base. So, while registered Coopworth may not be very common, the breeds that were used to create the Coopworth are fairly easy to come by. The Border Leicester was derived from crosses of Border Cheviots and Leicester Longwools, and maintains the black nostrils& hooves, roman nose, clean face and more upright ear carriage of the Cheviot, with the larger frame and long fleece of the Leicester. (I love my BL ram, huge fleece in gorgeous ringlets!)

Cheviot's ears are tiny in comparison, tho, and they are a much smaller-sized sheep (adult rams can run as small as under 100#). Cheviot rams are commonly used to cross on commercial ewes for hothouse lambs that finish with nicely-shaped carcasses at lighter weights.

So many shepherds employ different crossbreeding programs that it is much more likely that the spotted-leg ram at the shelter is a crossbred. He could have one of those breeds in there somewhere, tho.

-Tish

3. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

How rare? I have been told there are about 7 million in New Zealand but the same person thought they might be quite uncommon elsewhere.

4. Thumper/inOkla.

as he has grown I have been compairing him to photo's and discriptions in Storey's guide to Raising sheep. It is fun to try and guess what he is mixed with.
    He has a VERY roman nose.

I am in the USA,

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

There are quite a few breeders in Washington.
    The Shearer I had up North Raises them, and the lady I buy my roving from, also has them.
    So not really rare up here.

Here are some links & Addresses if you are interested.

Registeries are...
    Marsha (the Shearer I used,, and the other new one..
    Coopworth Sheep Society of NA
    25101 Chris Lane NE
    Kingston, Washington 98346
    (360) 297-4485
    e-mail: rainfarm@tscnet.com

The American Coopworth Registry
    82 Sproul Hill Road
    Bristol, Maine 04539-3211
    (207)563-5952
    secty@AmericanCoopworthRegistry.org

Cottonwood Woolies - White and silver purebred unregistered Coopworth. Also, Suffolk market sheep.
    Kelly and Steve Carrick - P.O. Box 3575, Missoula, MT 59806
    Phone: (406)726-4142

Sheepy Hollow Farm - We have changed our name AGAIN! We are now Sheepy Hollow Farm. We are still in Condon with our wonderful Coops. Call or write anytime.
    Andrea Ware - PO Box 32, Condon, OR 97823
    Phone: (541) 384-6465

Mountain Vewe Coopworths - CSSNA Registered Coopworth Sheep. We select for easy care, fast growth, and excellent mothering traits. All sheep wear covers to produce top quality fleece for handspinners. Located in the beautiful hills of Vermont.
    Marianne and Richard Dube - PO Box 48, West Newbury, VT 05085
    Phone: (802) 429-2064

Hidden Valley Farm and Woolen Mill - CSSNA registered white and natural colored Coopworth breeding stock. This is a highly selected flock focusing on multiple births, mothering abilities, fleece quality, efficient growth on grass, health of the animal and animal temperament. Flock improved with use of New Zealand semen and in fall of 2004 Australian semen.
    Paul and Carol Wagner - 14804 Newton Rd, Valders, WI 54245
    Phone: (920) 758-2803

Deer Run Sheep Farm - Located in the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia. We have a small flock of white and Natural Colored Bluefaced Leicesters and Coopworths (and crosses). We specialize in beautiful handspinning fleeces and easy care sheep.
    Martha & Jim McGrath - HC 72 Box 14D, Franklin, WV 26807
    Phone: (304) 358-2239

Maple Way - Coopworth/Suffolk crosses in natural colors and white for meat, fleece or pets. Also, Great Pyrenees livestock guardian dogs (LGDs). Top Quibbletown/Karolaska/European/working/champion bloodlines. Working, show, companion, obedience and therapy prospects. Written health and working guardian guarantees. AKC registered. Reservations highly recommended.
    Mr. & Mrs. William H. and Christina M. Ingram, Jr. - Route 2, Box 27-A, West Union, WV 26456
    Phone: (304) 873-2727

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

What is his fleece like??
    Cheviots tend to have very roman noses,, and spots seen on the legs, head and ears are not uncommon.

The Coppworth I have seen, do not tend to have Roman noses. Much more straight, or kind'a what a Arab horses face would be like.

7. Thumper/inOkla.

His fleece is almost white, oily, I would guess a medium crimp, ( I have never seen a raw fleece before, so I am really guessing) a little over 3 inches long right now, his face is clean (no wool) and legs too.

going by the photo's in the book, he does not look like the Border (southern) Cheviot he is very calm and no black on the face, the discription says they are known by the black nostrils and lips.

He looks very much like the Coopworth's but it's not that great of a photo.

The North Country Cheviot, looks pretty close but he is not polled and the photo in the book shows a dished face sheep as the example.

It doesn't matter in the real world what he is, if he ever was bred it would be just for meat lambs. But, I KNOW he isn't a Barbados, like the shelter said, and I knew that when I first saw him, and he is just the 2nd live sheep I have ever touched.

8. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

You should get out there and handle a few more, it is really good for your hands! :haha:

I dont know how many thousand 'Coopworths' I must have shorn but we just called them 'Romney Cross'. Pretty much the same animal though from a Border Liecter sire and a Romny ewe. They seem to always have clean front legs with the wool extending well down on the rear legs, black lips yes but just a few black spots elswhere. The 'roman nose' never seemed to get passed on and neither did the BL attentive ears. I might be mistaken on some details as I gave that work up when I joined the military in the early 60's.

'White fleece, oily, medium crimp', none of this means he is not a Coopworth but could be a lot of other breeds too.

9. Thumper/inOkla.

Yep, but it sure means he ain't a barbados like the shelter said, heehee :D

The book I have may miss alot of info on ID'ing the breeds, but it seems there are not so many breeds that have, clean faces, clean legs, and horns, with no black on the nose or lips, very calm temperament with a roman nose? since he was dumped at the Oklahoma City animal shelter, I would not expect he was pure bred. he did have a scrapie tag though.

I also wondered if there are breeds that he would be too large to breed too?
    So, I would know if the smaller breeds are some I should not have loose with him.

10. bergere

bergere Just living Life

If he has horns then he is not purebred Cheviot, big or small. Do not think Coopworth's have any either, but could be wrong on that??

Hummm,, Roman Nose and horns,,,, will have to go looking around and see if I can dig up some pictures of sheep that have those looks.

How big is he??

Does he have a Scrapie tag in one of his ears? If he does (which is required but a not all breeders do it) you can contact the state with the number and they would be able to tell you from who he came from and what breed(s) they had.

11. stellie

stellie Well-Known Member

As there are 914 registerable breeds of sheep in the world, I wish you luck on pinpointing the exact type ;) At any rate, I highly recommend that you take a gander at the following website:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/

They have an extensive amount of information on each breed that they have online (coopworth here: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/coopworth/index.htm ) and its always the first place I go when trying to identify a breed that has a little bit of everything in it :) Good luck!