How Outgoing are you?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Dec 1, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It must take a bit of doing and effort beyond just doing the work and chores on the farmstead or to market a farm product. I'm thinking the time and confidence to get to the sources you need so that your product can be sold hopefully to a supporting customer base. There may also be competition of a general store or perhaps they might accept some of your items to sell also. In any case, what experience do you all have with getting off the ground about selling what you grow or produce?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I guess it depends what your growing but we started by selling calves through the local sale barn, moved to sheep and sold lamb there. Then we sold direct to the local butcher shops, freezer orders (although we did some calves that way too) and have added retail cuts at the local farmers' market.

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Ross, it sounds like you are from southern Ontario. I've heard much talk about sale barns, but don't know what they are all about. I haven't heard of such a thing in the Thunder Bay area, and wonder why not. Could you please elaborate on how these barns operate. Thanks.
    Jackie

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the good fortune of being friends with the owner of a very nice natural foods store. He has offered to purchase any surplus garden produce I might have. I've only been on my land for 2 years, so my garden is just beginning to really take off. I hope that in the next couple of years I'm able to grow specifically to sell to him, or actually barter, for grains, etc..

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sale barn is an auction house for livestock. Some will have days for selling cattle or pigs or sheep etc. some run everyday some will auction anything anyday. Buyers include local abitiors, feedlot operators, farmers hobby farmers. You'l likely have to register to bid but I can't think of one that isn't open to all. Soem are incredably popular, Keady (at least before the BSE thing) was one of those funny successes. All are under pressure from low auction prices and lost business, hard to say how many will be left in 6 months. I stopped using them because its easier and often mroe profitable to deal with the butcher directly.