How old should goats be to get bred?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TWOGOATS, Sep 1, 2005.

1. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

Ok, I have a 5 1/2 month-old LaMancha, and I was wondering if she would be old enough/big enough to breed this season. Here are her facts:
    Born: 03/24/05 Birth weight: 7lbs, 7 3/4oz Firstborn of twins
    Present weight: 88lbs Wither height: 24 1/2"
    Her dad was large, but her mom is medium-sized. How big do you think she should be before she is bred?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

she should be at least 8 month old before you breed her. how did you figure that weight?
    susanne

3. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

by november. double check her weight-she should be 90lbs to breed. and she shouldn't be fat or skinny, but nicely fleshed. (really clear aren't i?)

4. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

what do you mean? I used a bathroom scale.....

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

because i have problems to lift my #90 buck kid. and i thought if you used a tape than you might want double check. i didn't know that lamanchas get this big so fast.
    susanne

6. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

well, she has always been healthy, and there are several possible factors for her "big-ness".
    she got her first colostrum raw (mama CAE free)
    she was bottlefed raw milk, pretty near as much as she wanted
    she was in the house from day two to day forteen (calories used for growth, not warmth)
    she looves Nutri-Drench, so she gets more than a goat that hates it
    we let her have milk for the full three months
    free-feed alfalfa, water, generous grain
    she is the second in command in the herd (first is her mom), so she gets more of everything
    she had a big daddy

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I have read in many places that 80 pounds is big enough, but you would probly want to ait just a lttle bit longer just in case.

8. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

we were thinking to breed her around late december to early january, so she would be 8 months and heavy enough.

9. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

She is plenty big, healthy and strong to breed in October. We breed by wsize and weight not necessarily by age. We don't breed them any younger than 7 months however.

Yes, munchies can get big and they can get that way in a hurry. it just depends on the genetics in the bloodlines. Just like hjmans if a parent or grandparent is big the child or grandchild can also be big. it runs in families.

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Our LaMancha's were always larger as kids than our Nubians. And my friends Alpines make my girls look like midgets as kids. Full grown yes our Nubians are larger, but not as kids.

I breed all my March kids in October, for March kids. They are 90 pounds by 7 and 1/2 months and kid at about 112 to 120 at 12 and 1/2 months old. By 16 months they are 150 to 165, in good milk. The only difference for my herd between holding does over to breed at nearly 2 years and 12 months is that I get to see the udder 12 months earlier, I have kids for sale out of them, they are earning their keep with salable or drinkable milk, and they don't have that extra year of nonproduction to get fat, especially fat in the udder. We do sacrifice our 12 to 24 month old juinor wins for that junior leg :) because ours are milking and no longer juniors.

Twogoats, sounds like you an excellent job of raising that kid! Vicki

11. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

12. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

TwoGoats, I might be wrong because I don't know a lot but I have read that you shouldn't breed until around 8 months. Weight is more of a factor than the age but I wouldn't think 7 months old would be pushing it too much. I wouldn't breed her until late in the season. Also, watch for an overweight doe. You don't want her to be fat. Too much fat on a dairy goat is not good and is not a true measurement of her natural weight. It can actually hinder birthing. I'm not to assume this is the case. Perhaps she is the right weight for her height. I'm just passing on what I've read because like I said, I am not a goat expert. I just read a lot. ;o) I hope everything goes well. Have you bred goats before? This will be our first season to experience it and I'm looking forward to it but a little nervous too. I am due to have my own human baby in January so I'm going to breed later in the season to offset that!! You take care and all the luck to you!!

13. goatchops

goatchops Well-Known Member

well, i heard you had to wait 12 months 'till you breed them.