Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given some wheat, some of which is about 20 years old, so I know its ok. This other stuff looks like its from the 70's or even earlier. Some is in sealed 1 gallon cans and some is in plastic buckets(when did they start storing in plastic buckets?). I didn't know for sure the storage conditions, but the older stuff came from a cat ladys house and the outside of the containers smell like kitty pee although the stuff inside smells and looks fine. So what to do with this? Throw it out, feed it to the chickens, save it for when we totally run out of everything or to give to zombies?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, yup when those zombies come to the door I can show them my pitiful pile of wheat LOL.

Ladycat if I give it to the chickens should I sprout it or grind it first?

G

·
Wheat is pretty durable stuff.

Take some from whatever container it's in and give it a look over. Any swollen, cracked, or discolored grains? If none then give it a sniff. If it doesn't smell musty or moldy then it is still safe to eat.

Now, as to whether it'll make good bread or not there's no way to know that until you mill some and give it a try. Same for flavor. But it should still be safe to eat if it passes the tests I outlined above.

In optimum storage conditions it's entirely possible to keep wheat thirty or forty years and still safely eat it.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
this might be out there but if it doesn't smell bad you could always make neck rolls out of them. the kind you put in the micro wave to heat or in the freezer for cold.

just a thought.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
That's a good thought about possibly having non-GMO wheat -- if you do a sprout test and it passes, you might be able to sell the stuff as seed stock!

But if you do feed it to your chickens, you should try it on them first. Mine won't eat wheat unless I grind it coarsely. Of course, they are spoiled with commercial feed.

Kathleen

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
They've taken wheat from Egyptian tombs and got it to sprout. If yours sprouts, it should be fine.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm more worried about the environment the older stuff was stored in. You know a cat ladies house isn't the cleanest and the outsides of those buckets smelled icky, although the inside smelled fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts