Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmmmmm....not sure why it said 49. So, I typed it in Google and got:

Possibly able to talk, judging from a bulge (Broca's area) in the cranium (visible in only one skull) that is essential for speech. Habilis was about 4 feet (1.2 m) tall. So, to answer your question. Man is, maybe, as old as 7 million years and, surely, as old as 2.4 million years
Jim

·
Dallas
13,852 Posts
Any chance you remember Jan Madrid?
No, in Googling the name I see he was big in the South in the early 60's, I was 4 years old and in Minnesota (AWA Territory) in 1960.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
No, in Googling the name I see he was big in the South in the early 60's, I was 4 years old and in Minnesota (AWA Territory) in 1960.
Ah, a home boy!

Then you must remember Verne Ganyai (sp). The World Champion nobody else every heard of.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I watched Apollo as a kid in the 50's and he used his feet to take wrestlers down. I know 99% was acting but he was amazing just because of his athletics...

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Because **** Foley is 49, he was the charecter 'Mankind' in the WWE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Foley
There used to be a kid that thought I was **** Foley. I used to see him around town...He was always yelling.." hey ****". I told him I wasn't, he didn't believe me. I'm a big guy, but have all my teeth! And yes there is indeed a similarity, not side by side tho.

·
Volvo With a Gun Rack
2,552 Posts
Ah, a home boy!

Then you must remember Verne Ganyai (sp). The World Champion nobody else every heard of.
Oh yeah, I remember him, Vern Gagne. The wrestler that today, nobody would guess was a wrestler...looked more like a regular guy!

And the Bashan Brothers....and the Crusher (from my hometown, Milwaukee).

:)

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I was never a big fan of wrestling, but I was a fan of this guy, on Saturday TV. The one of two times i did see a live event, this time at a local small venue, the permanent bite marks on his legs and the hair he pulled out of other wrestlers head, convinced me that if the wrestling is fake, the physical abuse is real.

It was so much fun, with that 600 people, that when I attended my first (and last) huge WWE event, I was most disappointed.

Dick the Bruiser "The worlds most dangerous wrestler".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_the_Bruiser

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Oh yeah, I remember him, Vern Gagne. The wrestler that today, nobody would guess was a wrestler...looked more like a regular guy!

And the Bashan Brothers....and the Crusher (from my hometown, Milwaukee).

:)
Oh Yeah, I remember Verne Gangue, The Crusher. Dick the Bruiser.

Dick the Bruiser use to live Across the street from my Ex-wife's Aunt, up in Indianapolis. He was a really nice guy. Boy, that must be about 40 or 50 years ago.

·
Dallas
13,852 Posts
Ah, a home boy!

Yes, (it's spelled Gagne). He was champ for years and also owned the promotion. Many of the owners of the territories were the champions - they were the one person they could trust. Verne was an athlete though, he actually knew how to wrestle - besides being the master of the sleeper hold.
Nick Bockwinkle took over as champion when Verne got older, one of the greatest bad guys there ever was. Towards the end of the promotion there were a number of champions including Verns Son-in-law Larry Zbyszko

Verne was a big believer in Kayfabe - he never let the good guys and bad guys be seen in public together. He also trained most the great wrestlers of the 80's and 90's.
Sadly, while he is still alive, he has had Alzheimer's for years now.

Crusher and Bruiser, Mad Dog and the Butcher Vachon, Nick Bockwinkle, Ray Stevens, all wrestlers of my childhood. I went out drinking with Crusher once - my ex's cousin was dating a referee at the time. Crusher (aka Larry Lisowski)was a very polite man that did in fact like his beer, but not as much as they played it up on TV.

As far as Bruno, I never saw him wrestle as he was retired by the time cable brought other territories wrestling to my area.

I do wish I had lived in Texas during the Von Eric's and Freebird's era. I would have been at the old Sportatorium every week.

Unfortunately, today's wrestling holds very little interest for me. If you even want to call it wrestling. Vince McMahon took all the excitement out of it when he let it be know it was scripted. Yes they are true athletes to do what they do week in and week out, but it was a lot more fun when you could think that it might be real(even though you didn't really believe it was).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My dad used to take us to "all star wresting" all the time back in the late 70's. Vern was retired then but owned the show. We would always see the the crusher, jimmy superfly snuka, verns kid Gregg in the high flyers tag them, Jesse the body,Mad Dog Vachon, Baron von Raschke, good times

Reactions: mnn2501

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Back years ago my wife was drunk chasing a wrestler by name of Bull Dog Bob Brown around a Truck Stop trying to lay some Loving on him :help:

Oh wrestling isn't fake!

big rockpile

1 - 20 of 22 Posts