Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone! My question today is regarding my male nigerian dwarf. He was born mid February. He is my only male now, as my other died from a snake bite :Bawling: . How old does he need to be to breed to my girls? He would now be 5 mo. old. I just don't want to miss out on babies when breeding season comes. Also, I have 2 nubian/nigerian dwarf girls and wonder how the breeding cycles with them work. Would they only go into season once a year or at any time of year? Thanks for the info! Have a blessed day!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
He can probably do it at 5 months; most get interested at 4-6. There is a school of thought that says not to use them until 10-12 months the first time, though, as some bucks bred early just seem to lose interest later on.

Anyone around you who can lend you a buck for this time around?

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your buck - snakebite is a scary thing. (Glad I'm up here in Canada where we don't have poisonous snakes - except for the odd pocket further north)

At five months, your buckling is quite old enough to breed. I have one yearling Nigie whose father was 10 weeks old when he sired her and her twin! Height might be an issue - you may have to "intervene" and provide a small platform to stand on, while you hold the doe.

As for the Nigerian/Nubians - I would think that they would cycle pretty much year-round, as Nigerians do and so do Nubians (except for the really hot months). My NubianX was acting rather bucky the other day, sparring with the above yearling Nigerian - not sure who was in heat! The NubianX is inclined to react to other does in heat, as well as acting that way when she's in heat.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone to borrow a buck from. I thought of purchasing another, but to be honest, I can't really afford alot as we just moved here and I have had major surgery... prescriptions, etc. I tried to find out about the 4h folks who have goats, as alot of them just get rid of them when the kids go back to school, but have had no luck.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Mine did a very good job at 6 months old.
I know that Nigies and Nubians are supposed to be year-round breeders, but mine seem to only go into heat at the time of the regular dairy breeds---they start late September, cylce hard during October and November, and then start to slow down for January and February....
HTH!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
The breeding cycle of any goat, regardless of breed, is dependent on how far they are from the equator. Even seasonal goats can breed year-around when they are located near the equator.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,471 Posts
So, if my goats go with me from the Missouri summer to the Texas winter, I can breed for kids all year round? :baby04:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had a six month old Nigerian buck breed. We just only had single births, as opposed to multiples. The following year it was all multiples from this buck.

I think your buck will get the job done. Especially if you wait until September/october to breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts