How Old Does A Baby Goat Have To Be

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jennifer L., Jul 2, 2006.

1. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

before you teach them to drink? Can a baby goat be taught to drink from a pail when they are only a few days old like a calf can? I am considering getting some young does from a dairy to breed to meat bucks and after some time have high percentage meat goat herd. The woman I would get them from says to get a Lambar (pail with multiple nipples) to feed with first. I was thinking of only getting 4-6 or so. Is it necessary to get this apparatus or can they reliably learn to drink quite soon? Or is a bottle better, period, and I shouldn't try to get them to drink?

Jennifer

PS in Edit, I know nothing about goats, these will be a first for me.

2. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Also no expert here.... only going off what I've read.

But.... I've read that you can teach them right away how to drink from a pan. That you would take some milk on your finger, let them suck that, and gradually get their face down to the milk. But I also read that you take some chances of them asperating the milk. That the bottle, with it's upward tilt, gets the milk flowing down the throat. But with pan drinking it's obviously different - with the head down.

Personally, I think I'd get the bucket with several teats to feed them.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

no doubt a kid can learn to drink out of a pail but you have more cases of tummy upsets and entero toxemia. to upgrade a bucket to a lambar doesn't cost very much.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe they need to suck, like other babies, and that a bottle is the best way to go. I don't think they would drink enough from a pail, and it is not the proper way for them to drink.

5. Jennifer L.

OK, that's what I'll do, then. I don't want to get them sick when I've barely gotten them.

Thanks, everyone!

Jennifer

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

They do need to suck, and if not given an outlet for their sucking instinct will suck on each other, which can sometimes cause harm to the babies being sucked on (chewed ears and such). Better to just get the lambar.

Kathleen

7. Jennifer L.

Yup, just ordered one from crazygoatgirl at www.m-ssupply.com ! Thanks, Sharon! :)

Jennifer

8. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Thank You Jennifer....you are a joy to work with!! :)

Sharon