How old can a dairy goat live?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lazybee, Jun 27, 2006.

1. lazybee

lazybee Active Member

I have been trying to figure this out, but I can't find the answer. I was thinking 12, but I wasn't sure. Do you know?

2. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

My friends toggenburg lived to 20. But I think that's unusual. Past 15 isn't unusual tho. :cool:

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Whoa! That's an OOOOOOLD goat! I knew someone with a seventeen year old goat, but I had never heard of one living that long before. Twenty is amazing! Are these goats bred and milked that long - or just that first ten, twelve years?

Niki

4. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

He only bred her until 14. He was so sad when she died. Her teeth were down to almost nothing. He still has two of her kids that are now 15.

He used to have over 100 goats. He milked and made cheese for the local mexican restuarants. He was one of the first to add jalepenos to the cheese. We lived a stones throw from the mexican border and he supplied most of the locals shops.

5. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was reading somewhere that the record was 30 years, but I don't remember what breed it was.

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

From a site that had the info a long while back

Does 11-12 years average age, but... usually the death in does is kidding related. Does that are "retired" from breeding around age 10 live longer... up to 16-18 years.

Wethers 11-16 years average age

Bucks 8-10 average age - bucks usually live shorter lives than does and wethers due to the stresses of going into rut each year; this really takes a lot our of them.

Hope this helps out on the ages of goats :)

7. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

The seventeen year old goat I knew about lived in the same situation: she was bred every year for twelve years, then retired. She was at a 150 goat dairy whose milk went to a cheese processing plant. There were three old girls, the oldest of whom was seventeen - but she lived a couple years longer, and one of them is still going!

Close to the border, huh? So I'm guessing a hot, dry, climate. Low parasite loads too, maybe, contribute. My goats like the climate here in Arizona.

niki