How often to worm Farm Dogs??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Oct 26, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

How often do you worm your farm dogs and what do you use??

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

If you use heartworm preventative, it will take care of many of the worms except, I think, tapeworm.

But don't use Heartgard on collies or herder doggies --- use the one which contains ibelycimicin (?????) or something that starts with ib. Stay away from ivermectin for them.

Otherwise, Panacur is VERY safe and gentle for the pups --- it also doesn't eliminate tapeworm, but if you're using a good flea preventative, they likely don't have tapeworm anyway.

If you're using heartworm preventative, I wouldn't worry that much about worm, but Panacur every few months still isn't a bad idea.

If you're not using heartworm preventative, I'd worm with Panacur every 2-3 months.

3. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

We worm our Border Collies with Ivomec (dulited solution) on the first of the month, and with Pyrantel on the 15th. This does heartworm prevention and stomach worms. We dose our Pyrantel a bit higher than 1cc per 10lbs. The Pyrantel in Heartguard & others is not nearly high enough in all cases to keep the dog free of stomach worms, especially whipworms. Backyard dogs maybe, but farm dogs have all kinds of animal poo laying around to get into, eggs hatch within 10 days. I have read that Valbazen is good, and will probably use that too in the future. I also keep Cider Vinegar in their water buckets.

If you see tapeworms, you can dose 5 days of Panacure, and it's said to get them.? Or Adams from the feed store. Panacure is supposed to be given 3 days for a normal worming anyway (1cc per 5lbs). I find Pyrantel is soooo much easier to use. A big quart is only $30 or so. Panacure is $100 for 1000 cc. (liquid safeguard). I only use the Panacure for pregnant & just whelped moms, 5 days in a row, it's very safe.

The only worms you can see are roundworms & tapeworm eggs, the others are too tiny to see in poo. Tapeworms don't live forever, they live a short time and then die off in adult dogs. I use Frontline Plus, but that dosen't mean one of my dogs won't sample some kitty poo once in a while and get tapeworms or other worms, so I just worm them every month. Pups once a week as preventitive.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Hamish gets black wallnut hull tincture once a month. It kills heartworm and a host of other bad guys. He also gets the occassional ginger and garlic. Last year, at age two he did not have any worms. I'll have him tested again when he goes in for his heartworm check.