How often should a 10-day-old nurse?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, Jun 21, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

My remaining buckling is doing wonderful. He's growing and buckin' around. And still, I worry! I go out to the barn about 3x a day. I haven't seen this guy nurse in a few days. He looks and acts just fine. But he used to nurse constantly. I am hoping it's just that he nurses less frequently and that I just keep missing it. Does that sound right? Also, it's really hard to keep track of his peeing and pooping. Will his poop still be mustard colored?

This is my first time and I sure would hate to loose this guy... :help:

Thanks!
    Jennifer

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

They should nurse quite often. They do not really nurse for long periods of time. It is like nurse for a about I don't know 45 seconds then mom walks away. So if it is possible ot stay out with them and watch ans see that he is nursing. Can you give mom some grain and while she is standing still that is when the little ones come running. It is so cute. Is mom fine with him? Is she butting him away? Is he acting weak? If not I would guess he is just not nursing while you are out there.

3. full sun

The mom is very attentive. She is constantly licking or nuzzling him. And she stands still (even widening her stance a bit) to let him nurse. And the little guy has plenty of energy. He doesn't seem weak at all. But I used to see him nurse for a minute. Now when I go out there, I'll face him toward the teat and he bumps the udder, latches on and then comes right off and finds something else to do. He wants to nibble my fingers. Should I check to make sure there is still milk in her udder?

Thanks
    Jennifer

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

You can, but I bet he is full and you manage to miss him eating. I would not worry.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like he's doing just fine. I wouldn't worry -- they only nurse for a few seconds at a time, and it's easy to miss if you aren't there at the right time. If you are really concerned, turn a bucket upside down and spend some time sitting out there observing. It's lots of fun!

Kathleen

6. full sun

Okay--yes, he's fine! I saw him nursing a bunch today. And he is trying to eat the alfalfa pellets. Is that okay? I gave him a little piece of hay, but he wasn't too sucessful in eating it. Or he didn't like it!

And yes, Kathleen, it is a ball to watch him! I am amazed at how strong the pull is from the barn when there are kids out there. I am either out there or thinking about going out there, or wishing I was out there.

Thanks for your help...
    Jennifer