How often do you need to run a car?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lgslgs, Aug 23, 2005.

1. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I just checked the mileage on our second vehicle. The 1994 Trooper gets 15.5 mpg vs. 33 for the Olds, so I'm saving the Trooper for hauling goats, hay, and stuff instead of normal driving.

Does anyone know how often you really need to take a vehicle out of the garage and run it a bit? I've heard that you shouldn't store a vehicle for too long without starting it up.

Do I need to drive the Trooper once every two weeks, once a month, or can it sit for even longer and stay healthy? Hoping someone out there knows enough about cars to give me a good answer on this.

Thanks!

Lynda

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I have a pick-up that is just used for snow plowing my driveway. Consequently, it sits all spring, summer and fall in the pole barn. I start it about once a month. I let it warm up to operating temp and drive it a bit so the tires don't flatten on one side.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Every 2-4 weeks on our VW truck,Motorhome every 1-3 months,but 3 months is awfully hard on a vehicle.Wouldnt recommend it.

BooBoo

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The backup fire pump engine was run 15 minutes once per month where I worked. It did have a trickle battery charger that kept the batteries up. It never failed to fire up and run just fine for the 12 years I was there. A small solar charger should keep the battery it top condition and they are available cheap, $10 or so.

5. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

On a vehicle you'll want to have ready at a moment's notice I'd try to drive it at least 10 miles once every 2 weeks.

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

So what do you have to do to run a vehicle that has been sitting for 3 seasons? (Besides turn the key)

7. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

I am glad to see this thread. I have two SUV's the smaller of the two is a Pathfinder, and as the oldest of the two I tend not to drive it much.

My mechanic said to drive it into town once a month and it should be fine, that's 16 miles in so about 32 plus miles round trip, and enough to get the oil a circulated through the system???? It sure starts up fine.

I am wondering how well the antifreeze holds up and whether it should be added to or changed before winter? Thanks for the good thread!

LQ