Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With gas prices so high, do you drive anywhere its not a necessity?
Hubby and I are both retired(or just tired?) and live on a farm. Since we have checks one a month, we go to town once a month, to get chicken feed, horse, cat and dog feed, few groceries--and thats it!
Bills are paid online, or by mail.

·
Registered
708 Posts
we only go into town once ever 2 weeks on the day dh gets his paycheck, we get everything done we need to during that evening then go back home. we sometimes will go to local poultry swaps, they are my way to get out of the house a bit and make a few dollors selling some of the roo, eggs and goats that i might have ready at the time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I go get a months groceries and stuff at dollar store once a month and then ask my husband to pick up an item or 2 when he has to go do a job for someone,but I usually end up going a couple of times a month to see my granbabies up town and go to the thrift store.It is 6 miles to town and 6 back , but I just don t like to prowl around town like I ued too. Just too tired.,nancy

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
town is 30 minutes away.....we used to go 1-2 times per month....seems lately we have gone every day.....last week we went 4 days....for stupid stuff....(well 2 trips werent)

we try to go just the 1 time each week--my 6yo has dance class
besides that during school I drive 50 miles roundtrip to work so the trips to 'town' will prob slow back down to once per week....I hope!

Rachel

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
I go about every other week.Go to the Big City couple times a year.

A girl was getting on me not going to Church more.Like I told her one trip cost me $6.I go Sunday morning and thats it. :shrug:

It cost us with gas and everything no less than $100 every time we go to the Cabin.I was thinking about selling my Boat but I guess I'll just live with the cost of it. :shrug:

big rockpile

·
FourCountryGals.com
149 Posts
Our nearest town is 17 miles one way. Fortunately, one of us works in town 3 days a week, so "emergency" groceries are available.

For the most part, we do our major shopping in St George, 58 miles from here. Again, since that same one of us is the driver for the Senior Citizen Bus, we use that to get to St George for the major shopping. That trip is twice a month.

During the "good weather months" from April to September, we make monthly trips across the mountains to Cedar City for chicken feed, and building supplies.

Other than that, we just don't drive for pleasure.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Town is 12 miles away and I go twice a month. Any small errands, DD 17 takes care of it while she is out running around in her economy car. Pastor understands I don't leave home often and is just happy to see me when I show up on Wednesday evenings.

I do my big marathon shopping trips to the city 3 times a year.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
We live in a small town, not much here.
The biggest town near us is 60 miles away. We go about once a month. usually to the resturant store, canned good store, $ store and va Hospital. And when we have time to the thrift stores.
we've been stretching that farther and farther apart though. DH has to take time off from work to go and with every thing going up in price, the extra money he makes by not going helps alot. I am hoping we can start going fishing instead of those trips to town when he does take off from work

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I live right on the edge of town and everything is convenient. I have disciplined myself to go to the store once a week and try to do errands at the same time.

I try to fill the gas tank once a month, and make it last. But it seems I just can't quite do it the last couple of months. MIL was in the hospital last week and I drove up there twice (50 miles). Oh well... $52. for a tank of gas is hard on us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.