Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We eat out a couple of times a month or more. Wondering where we rank? Sometimes it's just a pain in the neck to cook night after night and day after day.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Maybe just over a half dozen times a year.

Reactions: Sumatra

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
We eat out sporadically. Sometimes it seems a lot then we go for weeks not eating out at all. It's usually when we're really busy and off the homestead. Last week we ate out 3 times. We were at DS house looking after the grandsons while the youngest was in hospital a few days. Twice there. Then it was our anniversary so we went out again. Probably won't happen again for a few weeks, I hope. So, I'm going to say evened out about once a month.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Does once in a blue moon count? Getting dressed and going to a restaurant, maybe on our anniversary, but if we eat out it's usually at a neighborhood cooking and that's about twice a year. We eat take out/bring home about once a month from the local Italian restaurant or lunch from a local deli.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Wendys chili once in a while. Does a family reunion count ? Put me down for about every 2 months.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Once a week at most. It's usually when we are running errands on the weekend. I'm thinking of getting some lunch boxes though so we can pack our own.

·
Registered
264 Posts
At a restaurant? Once every few months! Used to be multiple times a week and I can't believe I did that, thinking back on it.

At fast food places? Still once every couple of weeks, which is too much, even though we usually just order dollar menu items. It's complete garbage.

Our company has a cafeteria on property that sometimes lures me in and it's just a step above fast food. I am trying REALLY HARD to stay away and bring breakfast and lunch. It's kinda hard but I'm down to going just once a week and limiting my budget to $3 (which often pays for a good sized salad, or a bowl of soup with kettle chips).

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Maybe twice a year at a sit down place. I'll get coffee at the convenience store sometimes when I'm buying gas, but it's an expensive habit to get into so it's got to be a treat.

·
Registered
977 Posts
usually a pizza place to bring pizza home once a week. Sit down restaurant - maybe 2-3 times a month (that includes if I order takeaway from a sit down restaurant). Fast food - depends on if we are away from home/what's going on. I like to cook, so it is often just easier to throw something together at home, just takes more planning. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
As often as I can before DH retires, lol. Truthfully about 2-3 times a week (lunches). I take my elderly mother out so she can eat the things she doesn't/can't make at home.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Okay, you all who have cut the eating-out cord, how in the world did you do it? I'm a fast-food addict. This is Not Good for several reasons, obviously.

We have cut way back. Used to be every day, then we moved so that we're 15 minutes from town, and it's down to 2-3 times a week. I'd like to make it 2-3 times a month. HELP!

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Eat out, maybe 2 times a year. Drive thru, I'll get burgers for the dogs and I if they are with me on the way somewhere(long drives).

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Okay, you all who have cut the eating-out cord, how in the world did you do it? I'm a fast-food addict. This is Not Good for several reasons, obviously.

We have cut way back. Used to be every day, then we moved so that we're 15 minutes from town, and it's down to 2-3 times a week. I'd like to make it 2-3 times a month. HELP!
Add up all the money you spend at fast food places, then compare that to what you could buy at the grocery store. Then add up the time it takes to drive to the fast food joint, order, wait, drive home. Then realize you can have a home cooked meal for much less $$$ and in just as short (probably even shorter) time.

If you're eating out when you're out running errands, plan ahead and either eat before you leave, or when you get back. OR, pack snacks with you to hold you over until you get home.

In the 35 minutes it'd take us to drive to get take-out, I could have just about any meal cooked and ready to eat. Plan your meals ahead so you can thaw out meat, or soak beans, etc. It really is much quicker to cook at home.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts