Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you who have had rabbits for awhile, how often do you change breeds and why did you do it.
We are about to get rid of our mini lops, They don't sell that well and don't sell at all in the winter.
I am starting to fear they may start missing after not breeding in the fall and part of the winter.

·
OlivYew Farm
712 Posts
I've had rabbits for a total of 4-1/2 years. My main breed has always remained the same, the Netherland Dwarf. They aren't much for meat, but I raise them for showing and occasionally sell for pets. On the side I've played with various larger breeds, including mutts, Mini Lops, and English Spots. These were for meat as well as showing. We are now looking for some local Harlequins. I changed breeds as I got bored with them. I like the consistency of one show breed, but the excitement of a side breed that changes as I want.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've had rabbits for a total of 4-1/2 years. My main breed has always remained the same, the Netherland Dwarf. They aren't much for meat, but I raise them for showing and occasionally sell for pets. On the side I've played with various larger breeds, including mutts, Mini Lops, and English Spots. These were for meat as well as showing. We are now looking for some local Harlequins. I changed breeds as I got bored with them. I like the consistency of one show breed, but the excitement of a side breed that changes as I want.
I LOVE harlequins! Ive got to now, just got them. One is still in isolation. There very new to me. I really like the breed though!

I also agree - change for a change. Exitment.

Im thinking of downsizing and getting rid of a breed but its hard to decide. Ive got Holland Lops, Mini rex, Lionhead and now harlies.....any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think he wants to loose any thing, We better watch him he'll have another breed.
I know I have just about added breeds that I didn't have room for. Hard to control some times.
They do get boring fast when they don't pan out and just eat and eat and eat..........

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Your supposed to lose a breed before adding another???? Heck I was thinking of adding standard rex LOL I could never do without my french lops and my cals are for fast growing meat, but love the rex fur (and everything here has to have the option of dressing out at a good wieght in case babies don't sell- so mini rex are out). Hmmm what about a new breed...standard rex with french lops...

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have 4 breeds for awhile. I am going to the show this week end and I am determined to bring home a new rabbit or 2 or 3.

·
bluebird2o2
1,203 Posts
I have raised Netherland Dwarfs for 24 years and Holland lops many years,when i first started out i switched breeds a lot. i had minilops,mini rex,angoras,and english spots.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
Its fun to try different breeds, and I have, but there are a few breeds that I just really like. The Silvers will always stay, and I find myself gravitating back to the Mini Rex, although I tried to get out of them. I really like the Florida Whites and I don't even know why. Lilacs I became bored with quickly, the Satin Angora was just too much work, Harlequins, well I might pick up a buck for the lone doe that I have. The cremes I'm not as crazy about them as I was, they may be going, and I'm down to 2 Flemish, won't be breeding again, they just take up too much resources. I do have a lone English Lop doe because she was just so cute I couldn't resist her, but I do not plan to breed EL's. I may work on BEW Velveteen lops. I love Thriantas, may have to try a pair someday, and Belgian Hares are very neat rabbits too. Its very common for rabbit people to have numerous breeds or switch breeds around until they find their favourite.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
The first time I had rabbits (30 years ago) I was looking strictly for meat producers for myself and Rex were the first ones I found locally ... fell in love with the coats. I've got Rex again now (standards) ... but with the Internet found a lot more interesting breeds, though will probably always prefer the Rex coats.

My second breed was Velveteen Lops ... now have a Mini Rex doe (my friend has a buck so I won't have to get a buck anytime soon at least) ...

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Breeds we raise at MFO Rabbitry

My lovely wife Tracy raises/shows Satin Angoras,
http://home.earthlink.net/~tracyrios/angoras/

Other breeds over the last 10 years (not currently raising):
Americans, Harlequin, Harlequin Dutch, Holland Lops, French Lops, English Angora, German Angora, French Angoras, Giant Angoras, Satins, New Zealands (Red, White, Black), Silver, American Chinchilla, Standard Chinchilla, Jersey Wooly, Netherland Dwarf, Polish, American Fuzzy Lops, and one Flemish Giant for a short time.
http://www.rabbitgeek.com

We once went to a rabbit show and put up 10 different breeds between the five of us. We only did that once! Too hectic.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
When we first got started in rabbits we tried Cals and Harlequins before discovering mini rex. After a few years we added a few Netherlands but they were not really a "serious" breed for us.

This time, we started immediately with Rex and Brazilians. We're down to just the Rex now, plus Rex/Brazilians. I plan on working with the crosses and might add some New Zealand to the mix. We were thinking about getting a few Dutch and still might, but with limited cage space and crossing breeds, there's just no room for anything that isn't used in our existing breeding program.

I guess doing the cross breeding gives me the perfect excuse to add other breeds though... I never thought of that!

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I've had French angoras for years now, but have recently added mini-rex and mini-satin. I'll be phasing out the French, but only due to health reasons, and that's the only reason I'm trying out any other breeds. They're just too big for me to handle safely these days. The minis I got (from tailwagging here on HT) are good healthy rabbits with good temperaments, and much easier to pick up. I'm thinking to expand that, but I'm also going to attempt to create a mini-satin angora by crossing my mini-satins into the angora line. I like my fiber rabbits, and although we eat the culls, I don't mind 'single-serve' size rabbits, either. There's just two of us to feed these days. We'll see how it goes.

It's a dang shame too, as Sappho just gave me the most beautiful chocolate popple last weekend in her litter. I don't even know the sex, but I want to keep it! Maybe I will...and breed it to a mini-satin. Hope it's a doe!

And no, I don't like English angoras, even though their size would be helpful..

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I guess doing the cross breeding gives me the perfect excuse to add other breeds though... I never thought of that!
Maybe that's why I keep thinking along these lines ... worked with the ponies, maybe it will work with the rabbits!

I keep sidestepping into the "cute little pet bunny" thing and keep thinking I would really, really like to have a MiniRex size, Rex coat with lop ears! :help:

·
Registered
815 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Well, somebody was way ahead of you on that one.
Oh, yes, I have Velveteen Lops as well as the standard Rex. The Velveteens have just one more presentation to pass (in 09) and they will be a recognized ARBA breed.

They aren't as big as the Rex but they aren't MR size either and what I keep "seeing" is something about the size of the MR with lop ears! I know there are some breeders "playing" with this smaller type, I think using the Mini Rex and the Mini Lop. I can't help but think it sounds like fun.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
See now what I want is a frenchie in a rex coat. Frenchie sized.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts