How often do you bathe, brush your teeth, etc...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by sancraft, Jan 4, 2007.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I read a report that said the average American only baths once every 6 days and only brushes their teeth once a week. Yuck! Are people really that nasty? I brush my teeth no less than twice a day. If I'm home or where there is a clean bathroom, I brush after every meal. I bathe every day. In the summer, if I get sweaty after taking a bath, I'll take another one before I go to bed. I clean the kitchen every day, sweep and mop the bathroom and kitchen once a day, clean the bathroom once a day, and wash my hands after using the restroom every single time and before cooking and eating and after handling raw meat while cooking. The study said that we could cut communicable diseases by 68% if people would just wash their hands after using the bathroom.

2. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Oh that is gross. I can not imagine not taking a shower every day and brushing my teeth after I eat.Where did they poll to get this report.I don't want to go there.Yuck!

3. Peace n Quiet

Peace n Quiet Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL.... when I read your post I first thought, "Was this report from the 1800's?" :)

Everyone in this house bathes daily, and personal hygene(sp) is a must! I confess to telling all the kids at some point... "You don't want to be known as the stinky kid in class, do you??" :rolleyes:

4. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Lord that's nasty, I don't want those people near me!

I bathe about twice a day (sometimes more). I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day and I comb my hair about 2 times a day too. 2 must be my lucky number LOL!

I "spitbath" even if we don't have any hot water, I can't stand to go to sleep with a greasy face and all.

Many of the older generation Finns only take sauna as a bath..so we have ALOT of body odor around here. It's so bad at summer it makes people want to shop in outdoor markets just for the breeze LOL!

Kat

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, that sounds so strange!! I shower every morning, wash my hair, brush my teeth @ least twice a day and floss every chance I get (sometimes four or five times a day)! Some days I shower in the am and before bed! Summer heat usually brings long, sweaty, dirty days and sore muscles--a shower helps to cool me down, washes the sweat and dirty away and makes my tired body sleep better!

6. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Dirt bothers me. People who lack basic levels of personal hygiene make me physically ill.

I bathe daily -- always shower in the morning and sometimes at night if it's been a particularly dirty kind of day. My hair gets shampooed every second day because it's really, really long (bum length) and dries out and gets split ends if I wash it any more often. I brush my teeth at least twice a day, sometimes three or four times. Clean clothes every day. Hands washed every time I walk into the kitchen to do something, before and after handling food, after using the bathroom, etc.

Bathrooms and kitchen get fully cleaned every day. Vacuuming once every day or two -- laundry daily.

I hate dirt, but I hate the presence of dirt through laziness even more.

7. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I take a bath when I need it. If I am inside in the air conditioning not doing much of anything I might not take a bath for a couple of days, because there is no reason to. If I am outside working and getting smelly and sweaty, I might take two baths in one day.

I wash my hair when it's dirty too. Since I don't put any gunk on my hair (no conditioner, gel, spray and such), it doesn't get that dirty. I have been known to go a week without washing it because I wear it up and it doesn't get very dirty.

I brush my teeth when I get up in the morning.

donsgal

8. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I take a shower every night whether I "need" it or not. In the summer or if I get sweaty I might take a shower/bath a couple times a day. Every 6 day??? How NASTY!!! YUK... I am sorry but I can NOT believe the average american takes a shower every 6 days!! I wonder who they were surveying? How did the survey taker stand the stink... ???

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Don't have enough teeth to bother with.Take a Bath in the Spring.But do go swimming durring the Summer.

No body around why worry. :shrug:

big rockpile

10. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

ewww, big rockpile how can you stand youself... LOL

11. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

I confess I only brush my teeth in the morning :nono: but I either shower or take a bath twice a day. I just feel better when I am clean. :dance:

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Don't bother me but my Dog crawled up by my armpit,thought he was going to die :p

big rockpile

13. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Ahem... Rock ...ugg...what does the Mrs. think of your ...hmm...hygiene habits. LOL

14. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't feel good unless I take a shower every day. I brush my teeth twice a day and sometimes after every meal. My husband takes at least one shower a day but usually takes two. He usually brushes his teeth twice a day.

My BIL takes a shower Sunday nights wether he needs one or not! He does brush his twice a day though.

15. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

I shower every other day, but the teeth brushing is three times a day! My husband showers every day, and the kids shower every other day. They all seem to have good breath so I guess they brush 2-3 times a day.

My mom thinks we should all bathe daily but she doesn't--claims age makes you immune to it. She always smells good so maybe she's right...

Every 6 days for a shower/bath--I gotta say yuck too.

Vanessa
    near Nashville

16. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I don't think that report is for real.

I have, however, read some artaicles and talked with a doctor that said Americans bathe too much. He said it wasn't good for us.

Bathe once a day and brush teeth twice, unless I am going somewhere then I brush before I do.

When I was a kid, we bathed once a week - in a washtub. We 'sponged bathed' every night, though. Also, we washed our hair once a week. What is so strange, I can't go more than 2 days without shampooing. My hair gets so gunky - but I didn't have that problem when I only washed it once a week. Could that be because of more pollution in the air or maybe washing so often has gotten the oil glands functioning more.

I do wash my hands after a bathroom break unless I am forced to use a public restroom where I fear the 'stuff' on the faucets more than what I might have gotten on my hands.

17. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Remember this next time you wonder what happened to intimacy.

18. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I simply cannot go without a shower every day. When our well went, I took a shower every other day at my DD's and a sponge bath between times. It was a difficult week. The hair gets shampooed every other day because it's double processed and the teeth cleaned twice a day.

I've been called Mrs. Clean and I consider it a complement. I cannot stand a dirty house either. Iffen I have to crawl, I'll find a way to get it clean.

How anyone can go around smelly and dirty is beyond me.

19. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Similar but brush at night, often forget to. Floss only weekly or less. Bathing every day causes dry skin especially in those prone to it and the elderly. Most people (okay women) barring exertion/sweating high heat high dirt exposure menses or bad luck do not smell bad with less than daily bathing, and even when one does bathe only the hands, pits, and groin actually need soap- and I suspect a spit or whoor's bath of only those areas would be adequate for many people with full bath/showering every week or so. Me when I shower I almost never scrub areas other than those except if dirt smeared (forearms, legs/sometimes seat if working seated outside on wet muddy days). Rest of body gets water rinse along with shampoo and soap running over them.

added: when I'm reporting to white collar work I shower day of or night before going to work except once in a while make it every other day even when working if not too warm that week. underarm Deodorant usually makes me believe I smell as good as when fresh showered even if it's the second day from a shower. When I am older and fear my sense of smell is deficient I'll bathe more before going into public. But I'll never use scent.

Anyway how many responders (as a researcher please note the selection bias dooming this thread to inaccuracy) will come on and say "I wait until the neighbors call to see if something died"? You're going to get a lot of proud frequent bathers, a few proud and fewer ashamed infrequent bathers or poor hygiene folk. If you really want to know set up an anonymous poll and even then expect folks to lie on the side of what seems to be expected.

20. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

daily shower. sometimes twice. when working and dirty or sweaty, especially in summer, I just take a shower after. If it's 3 or 4 times a day, so be it. Got lots of water. :shrug: