How often do unbred does go into heat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goat Freak, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Hey we have a little four month old Boer goat and a six month old 94% Boer goat, both does. Does anyone know how often they should go into heat, is it the same as a bred goat. Also how soon are female Boers ready to bred my quess would be about a year, but is that right. The purebred is pretty big for her age though, would that affect how soon she could be bred. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, Bye.
    :angel: Goat FreaK :angel:

2. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i'm going to suggest that you visit fiascofarms.com (i think that's right...it'll get you close) and read their info. they have dairy goats, but most of the info applies to meat goats, too.

as for your question, they can breed as young as 3-4 months, in the dairy world we wait until 80-90lbs, some will breed at 70, usually 8-10 months, give or take a couple months. the heat cycle is 21 days and they will not cycle after they are successfully bred. the gestation is roughly 150 days, give or take a week. signs of heat include wagging the tail (flagging) crying inconsolably (and loudly) and chasing the males around. some will mount each other. WAIT until they weigh in at 80lbs at least, unless experienced boer breeders tell you different.

3. Goat Freak

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

actually some does continue to go into heat even if they are bred.

5. Goat Freak

Thank you so very much for the advice.

6. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

We have boers and boer crosses. We breed them at 7 months or 70 pounds. If they aren't 70 pounds at 7 months then we wait. But they should definitely be bred before they are 2 years old.

7. Goat Freak

Thank you all so very much for all the help. If I do decide to breed them at 70 lbs The purebred will definatly be ready before the Boer Cross. Well once again thanks for the help, bye.