How NOT to feed raw eggs to your dog!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by GoldenMom, Feb 13, 2005.

1. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

How NOT to feed raw eggs to your dog:

First do not let yourself totally run out of eggs when you plan on using even just one or two to make cookies. Even if you have five lovely egg layers out in the barn just waiting to give you an average of 2-3 eggs per day. If you do run out of eggs, do NOT go out to the barn and get the single egg your hens have laid today and then leave it on the counter while you are waiting for the butter to soften. If you do all of these things (against my advise!), make sure to go check on your counter surfing puppy when she gets too quiet. If (like me) you totally ignore these recommendations, be prepared to clean lovely dark yellow yolk out of your biege carpet!

I guess that's what I get for spending so much time on the computer!!!!

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Well, LOL, we all know that you need to keep a close eye on a pup, especially a smart pup! LOL You'll need to watch her that she doesn't go collecting eggs without you too! :haha:

Besides the fact that raw egg is a health hazard you won't get any for yourself!

;) LQ

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

ROFL :) If you go out right now, you might have another couple of eggs (put the butter in the micorowave until you return :)

Add to that "How Not to Serve Red Snapper"

After you have scaled, cleaned, marinated, and baked that freshly caught Red Snapper, do not leave on the counter to cool when you discover you've run out of milk and have to go to the corner convenience store. When I was 9 , my mother did this. Upon returning she discovered the skeleton of a scaled, cleaned, marinated, and baked freshly caught Red Snapper. My Irish Setter, Flame, had eaten only the meat :)

4. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

That reminds me of when my old dog was young and foolish ---

I had left the egg basket with about 13 eggs in it, on the counter on the porch for just a couple moments - when I came back, the basket was tipped over, and there were just 13 wet spots on the cement floor, and a guilty looking dog still smacking his lips !! Of course, shortly he proceeded to barf raw eggs & shells all over - I learned to never leave the eggs unattended !!

5. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Yep the girls were nice enough to deposit another egg for me! The butter was even better for softening a little while longer (I have a tendency to use it before it's really soft). At least I don't have to worry about the pup getting out and raiding the nest. Thank goodness for my invisible fence!

6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

My beagle will steal eggs from the basket if he can reach it. The little snot will carry the egg in his mouth and you can't see it! When in the house he carefully (and quietly) cracks it and eats just the yolk and white. I know he's done it when I find the shell. I'm more careful about where I set the basket now. He also knows how to open the pantry and lazy susan doors. I have to put any boxes up he can't reach them. He's eaten lots of crackers- saltines and graham seem to be his favorite. I always know when he's gotten into something because the yellow dog looks horribly guilty when we walk in the door. I know he hasn't done anything because he's the closet thing to the perfect dog I've ever seen. Apparently, he thinks he's bad because he saw the beagle doing something naughty.

Stacy

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Besides the fact that raw egg is a health hazard you won't get any for yourself!

;) LQ[/QUOTE]

Raw eggs from your own farm are not a health hazard. We do wash the shells. Our dog doesn't eat eggs from the nest, though he could get to them. Is this a great trained dog, or coincedence?

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Had a sweet little dog once who would hunt eggs from my free range hens and bring them to me.

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

ROFL, that is just like my Catahoula. She will raid a duck or guinea nest and try to walk into the house nonchalantly- with an egg convenienlty hidden in her mouth :) Took her a while to learn "drop that egg" but glad she did :) We are still working on "drop that opossum!" :rolleyes: I have high hopes :)

10. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

My little Daisy does this, too! Pretty cute watching her try to slip by me.

11. betty modin

betty modin Well-Known Member

I had a Newfoundland mix once that managed to hide eggs in her mouth so well that even when I put my hand in I often didn't find it! All that loose soft mouth seemed to hide even duck eggs very well! She didn't bother the geese though! betty

12. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

When my oldest daughter was in college,she had two room mates, they decided they needed a dog and went to the pound to adopt! Came back with the cutest little fuzzy puppy (which grew up to be a fuzzy 85lbs 'horse'). He was spoiled and very much loved but when all three of the girls were out--he would raid the cabinets and eat anything he found.. They came home from classes to find an empty box of Bis-quik. About ten minutes later they were 'given' back the whole box of Bisquick!! It took three trash cans to get it all up. It was eaten dry but when it came back it had risen and was the biggest mess you have ever seen. They took him to the vet because so much kept coming out! :eek: They took pictures because "no one would ever believe them"!