Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some work done on my house and called a company to come out to give me an estimate. She asked what my availability was. Then she said, "and when is your husband available?" I kindly told her he isn't my husband, but why should it matter whether he was around or not, but that he works days. She said they require the man of the house to be around for an estimate.

I was silent for a second, politely told her thank you but no thank you and hung up. :umno: As a single mother for many years and a previous military wife for many more years (mostly physically absent husband), this bugs me. Do I not know how to make house decisions for myself? Apparently I do not. Regardless, I will be doing some more calling around. Sheesh.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Well, maybe this is like a paint store not liking to sell paint to a guy without his wife present..

A guy is probably gonna buy the wrong color, where as if a wife gets the estimate, the husband is going to feel they are ripping them off because she's a girl?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^You hit the nail on the head. I called back out of curiosity and she simply said in the past that sometimes estimates and things explained during the consult weren't always properly conveyed to the husband/boyfriend, etc. and the company didn't want any surprises.

I told her I understood, however suggested the company finds another method of doing it because due to how it was conveyed to me, I wouldn't be using them. She said she'd pass the message on.

Anyway, just thought it was odd. I've never had this happen before.. is this typical?

·
Registered
769 Posts
This is a peeve of mine, as well. There was once a wireless phone service company that wouldn't let me make changes to my cell phone because both were in the Hubs name. He called and tried to get me added to be able to make changes to my phone. They said nope, they only have one primary. I went in to cancel my service with them the very next day. They said nope. I took the Hubs in the next day and we cancelled them BOTH.

I also had this issue with Brinks. I signed up for the service. I paid the bills....and so on. They wanted to speak with the man of the house. Told them they were speaking to him. They said no cigar....we want him. I said, "please cancel my service".

Once they start giving me grief about wanting him instead of me, they are gone like the wind. I am not a feminist, but I have been a single woman before. Tell me you need a man to make a decision for me....and I have a saying, "Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya." :)

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
^ I called back out of curiosity and she simply said in the past that sometimes estimates and things explained during the consult weren't always properly conveyed to the husband/boyfriend, etc. and the company didn't want any surprises.
I figured it was something like that. I'm sure the company has run out to do free estimates before, only to be called back out because the wife didn't relay things correctly.

Or they come out to do an estimate and there are a multitude of questions - "What all do you want replaced? What kind of color / texture? . . . . . . ." and the wife replies "I don't know, I'll have to check with my husband."

Or once the estimate is given, the husband calls the company back "That isn't what I wanted done." or "I didn't want that replaced."

I'm by no means saying women don't know what they want or can handle such things - I'm just saying SOME can't and it creates a big problem for the company that came out to give their free estimate.

Just sayin'.

·
free leonard peltier
2,315 Posts
The first thing crossed my mind was "geez our lawsuit world has had to resort to this to protect their business from some female home owner pulling a he said/she said accusation of the male estimator."

I know sounds silly but.. It takes nothing but the words needed to bring a very damaging accusation anymore.

My site manager (male) had to drive a female employee to have breath alcohol testing done yesterday. I made him take another female with them, just 'cause.

Jax-mom !! Of course I'm in no way thinking you would do such a thing! Nothing about the OP personally made my thoughts go this way. Only the sad reality that we all know it could happen 'cause there are enough nutso's to ruin stuff.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
The policy at our area rugs stores was if a married man came in by himself, we'd loan him the rug of his choice - but not sell it to him. We knew for a fact it would be coming back, and running credits cards and then refund credits costs money.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have gone and gotten parts or whatever and when I asked a few questions they said to have my husband call...... Um I am the one dealing with it, answer my questions!

And recently did some volunteer work..... they thought I couldn't do it because my dh wasn't coming along. Hello?!!! I cant take care of children, live out in the sticks AND do whatever needs to be done I guess. Its a good thing they didn't push the issue... a gov. agency discriminating wouldn't have gone over so well.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mrs whodunit;7220364]I have gone and gotten parts or whatever and when I asked a few questions they said to have my husband call...... Um I am the one dealing with it, answer my questions!

I remember when mine was deployed I got a few of those "well, I need to speak to your husband ma'am, is he home?" I got so fed up with one person's insistence that I bluntly told her he was in the military and was overseas fighting for freedom and democracy, including my free speech so "bug off." :bored: I rarely get that mad but I was struggling handling two young kids on my own with two jobs, going to school and holding down the fort while he was gone... complete with exploding pipes in the basement, a car that needed to be jumped many times, lots of snow..you name it, I swear it went wrong that entire year. lol.
:hair

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,362 Posts
I have a female friend that has had some furnace issues over the past two years. There is a furnace guy that lives about a mile away. Every time he comes over there, his girl friend comes, too. She doesn't help, just there. I think she is jealous and rides along to house calls when there is a single woman there. I can imagine her asking if there is going to be a man there. Not because she thinks women are stupid, but because she doesn't trust her man.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts