Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, I saw an ad in the Market Bulletin today where somebody is looking for an outhouse. I happen to have an outhouse. The people who built this house built it. I have no use for it except to store garden stuff and would gladly relocate the garden stuff and sell it. I have no idea what price to put on it.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
clsmith15 said:
Seriously, I saw an ad in the Market Bulletin today where somebody is looking for an outhouse. I happen to have an outhouse. The people who built this house built it. I have no use for it except to store garden stuff and would gladly relocate the garden stuff and sell it. I have no idea what price to put on it.
Hm. Nick and I built an outhouse together. It was fun! Some time, I should dig out the pictures and post them here. :)

To answer your question, I guess I'd just figure out the cost of materials, maybe a little time, add them together and see what you get. If it's really cute and all, you may get more $$ for the Country Kitsch factor. ;)

Good luck!

Pony!

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
clsmith15 said:
What would it cost you to buy a garden shed? I would say around $650 dollars, more if they want you to deliver it.

donsgal

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
$105

that's what this portable outhouse costs:

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Well I priced a 8X10 Shed the other day $800

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
For $650 or $800, I'd expect it to be F-A-N-C-Y! LOL :)
But, I'm sorta cheap lately since I've learned I can build nearly anything myself, given enough time. I'm truly guessing at the value of the thing, since we haven't seen a picture of it, but I would imagine $250 is reasonable.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
There's a place near me that often has outhouses in their parking lot for sale. Some they have constructed from lumber salvaged from old barns, houses and outbuildings ... some are 'antique' outhouses built decades ago. All are VERY rustic in appearance. They sell them for $150 -300.

ETA: I go by this place every 2-3 weeks (it's near the feed store I do business with) and each time I go by there is a noticeable reduction in the number in their 'inventory'. I'd estimate that they sell 2-4 per week.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I'd keep it for the future. Never know when things get really tough, you may loose running water, and that outhouse will be mighty handy to have.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would measure the outhouse to find out how many board feet was used to build it. Then call the local lumberyard and get a price for the lumber. Then add cost of nails, roofing, hardware, etc. Then double that price to account for labor. Adjust according to condition. You should end up with a fair market price. I don't know about your area, but around here the labor is generally about the same as the cost of material. The labor will be equal to the cost of good material even if cheap materials are used.

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,211 Posts
I furnish kits to build and one that is on a 4 by 5 foot print setting on 4 by 6 skids is $300.00 for the materials to build. This isn;t a replica but one that can be used then moved off or on the new hole as that becomes neccesary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts