How much would you pay, and what would you buy?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jen74145, Dec 8, 2006.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby and I are looking at getting started in rabbits... there's a guy at our local flea market who sells every breed under the sun, and almost any other livestock at some point or other... problem is, you just walk by and he's in your face telling you what you "can't live without." :rolleyes: More a salesman than a trustworthy breeder, we won't talk about some goats and chickens he was trying to push at us a few weeks ago... :nono:

None of his bunnies are registerable, just grade, which is fine for us as they'd be meat only. Mostly he has adults, but the occasional litter does show up. Would I be better off starting with adults, or kits? And how much would you pay for either?

Thanks!

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

If you start off with adults you could be mmore sure of what size rabbit you are going to have...you'd start to produce sooner...in theory of course. Not sure of the going prices in your area but here we bought NZW's from a breeder for $5 each. Now cages and set ups are another story...always make sure you have a proper set up for any given animal before you purchase.

3. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My first question would be: Are his animals healthy and well-cared for? If there was something wrong with those goats and chickens he was trying to sell you, I would be very wary of buying anything from him.

On the other hand... we started with $5 yard sale mutt rabbits that were in pretty rough condition when Brian took pity on them. I was not enthusiastic when I saw them. That was the beginning of July. They had been in an overcrowded community cage (except for the buck) and were filthy and out of condition. We put them in clean individual cages and slowly added fresh greens to their diet and by September they were looking pretty good. We decided to breed them... and they have produced very well for us. Extremely reliable. By selecting a few of the best youngsters to be kept as breeders and culling here and there, we now have a backyard rabbitry I am pleased with.

If you do buy rabbits from this person, I'd suggest two adult does who have already raised a litter and one proven buck. look for good meat rabbit shape, good health and temperament. Don't pay too much for them. And if they don't work out for you... remember that you can always eat your mistakes.

4. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you both.
    The animals are healthy, but I'm a bit wary of anyone trying to push two wild as can be boer does and four pygmy bucklings (not even wethered! grr) to someone who says they are considering a milk goat for a small family. Wouldn't you be? Guess he didn't think we knew to check the "business end", lol.
    The chicken thing is just that he fights them; everyone knows it, nobody can do anything about it. Not the best startup for a family flock, I don't think.

ON the other hand, they are all fat, sassy and clean. He just may not be the most honest person in the world... so I suppose as long as we check what he tells us, we should be alright. And you're right, Maggie, we can always eat 'em... :baby04:

5. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

I had a guy make this offer to me is it a good price
    just wondering havent delt with rabbits before

6. bbjrabbits

bbjrabbits Well-Known Member

:) I would think it is a fair price IF the rabbits are healthy and the cages are in decent shape with good floors. The 32 young would be worth 160.00 at 5.00 each. It is important that the breeding rabbits are healthy and not real old or out of shape, best of luck Bill :)

7. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds good to me, PyroDon. I paid that much for a dozen does and two bucks with about 20 young ones, so you'd be doing better than me when you include cages. The young do grow really fast, so you'd get your doe numbers up quick.

Jen74145, if the rabbits look good I wouldn't be concerned about who the guy is. But I wouldn't pay much for mutts. $5 or 10 at the most. It's pretty easy to get better rabbits later if these don't have the meat on them that you expect, and in the meantime you get to practice on rabbits that didn't cost you much.

Have fun!

Jennifer

8. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

$5 each Jen, no higher. But I still would tell you not to buy them from this guy, we have a woman who does the flea market here, sells chickens rabbits chicks ducks poults etc. My foolish friend bought a harlequin doe from her, it ended up having snuffles. Turns out this woman doesn't really breed her own rabbits, she buys them at auction, for a less than a $1 a pound, and then resells them at the flea market for $15. She has no idea what diseases they may have, or anything about their parents or past, but she sure doesn't let on that their from the auction. If this guy is shifty don't line his pockets, he could very well be doing the same thing. Try to start with young adults, preferably proven. There's got to be a breeder in your area.

9. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

In my area in the mountains of Pennsylvania we have a newspaper " the Republican" and in this newspaper we have a free add column. And believe me they are always giving rabbits away. I dont know if you want an specific breed I think you do. But if you just want to get rabbits check the newspaper, my brother in Law told me (he travels a lot) in many cities they have newspaper with a free column, he got a turtle with a fish aquarium for free. We found the same turtle in a pet shop and the guy wanter $25.00 dollars. Do you believe this? Well good luck if you want the next time I see an add giving rabbits away I e-mail you guys. Let me know. You can go wrong with free, Vulcan

10. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

If I were you, I would not buy from someone like that. Never know what you are going to get. Even if he says the does are proven or bucks for that matter, I would not believe him. There is a reason he is selling them. I would go to a local rabbit show and talk to some breeders there. Get a feel for the different breeds. Go to www.arba.net there should be a list of shows and who to contact for info. It would be worth your time to go to a show. If you are looking for meat, New Zealand or Californians would be best. You may have to be willing to pay more than $5 for a rabbit. NZ or Cal rabbits at our local salebarn sell for more than that. If you want good clean rabbits to start with buy from a reputable breeder. Ask to see their barn where the rabbits are kept so you can see for yourself. That way you can see that they are clean and well cared for. You can also buy from breeders at a show.

We have paid up to $15-$20 for a good quality NZ or Cal doe. You may be able to get 8-12 week old babies for less. Breeders area also usally willing to sell trios of 2 does and 1 buck for a discount.

Lyceum

11. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

It sounds like it would be a little risky to get rabbits from this guy, but I suppose if you just want some "learner" rabbits, it wouldn't hurt. :shrug: Just make sure the animals are perfectly healthy! If you do decide to get rabbits from this guy, I think your best bet is to get younger animals. A lot of folks don't let breeding stock go really cheap unless there's something wrong, like fertility problems. (I'd be very suspicious of "proven" breeding animals from a flea market.)

A flea market isn't the only place to pick up inexpensive rabbits though. You can usually find cheap and sometimes free rabbits at shows...many also have rabbit raffles to help raise money for the club hosting the event. *Usually* these animals aren't as nice, but there are a few kind souls out there who see the raffle as a way to support their club and fellow breeders!

Good luck

12. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

When you buy from a flea market or swap- or for that matter from anyone...always check the rabbits over from head to toe. My first rabbit I bought from the flea market wound up having an abcess under his jaw- which if I had not taken care of it myself would have cost me much more than the rabbit was worth in vet bills. It came back again as they usually do and I lanced and excised it again. He did not make it through the winter, as he was always thin even though he ate well- so who knows what else was wrong with him.
    Lesson learned. Next time I checked the rabbits over from head to toe and even though I never got thier papers I was promised- I am happy with them.

13. crafty2002

crafty2002 Well-Known Member

If he fights them, maybe you can do something about it. Don't gice him a penny. :angel:

14. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

We paid $20 for our flemish giant, a little high but he was a real nice guy we bought from, we seen him out there coddling the rabbits all the time.

15. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I paid $10 apiece for three young NZW does (too young to breed yet, just weaned) and $12 for a one year old proven Cal buck. These were from ads out of the local trade paper, they're not registered or anything like that.

16. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yup, that's what a lot of legit breeders are like. Show, commercial, whatever...just as long as the person is breeding for a definite PURPOSE and striving to make their herd better through careful culling and selective breeding.

The most I've ever paid for a rabbit is $60...this was just this month for a pedigreed 60% German Angora-cross doe. (Angoras are pricy because of the care involved in raising them.) Lot of money for this broke breeder, but she's sweet, friendly, healthy, and a cool color. I just sheared her and she gave 2.5 ounces of prime wool (first shearing, baby coat).

Quality is worth it in the long run, especially if you want to establish a breeding herd of your own. :)

17. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

These "fighting" chickens are the best for raising. They will fly and roost in the trees. The hens will make their own nests and hatch off. They will take care of their biddies and sacrifice themselves to protect them. Without any help from you.
    These are great for "free ranging". The only thing is that they tend to be smaller than standard "meat chickens".