How much trouble can you get into for shooting a dog?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by holleegee, Apr 7, 2005.

1. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

Two dogs killed all of my chickens and ducks today. If I was to shoot the dogs, what could happen if the owner found out, could the owner press charges. This sounds mobid but I took pictures of the dogs just in case I needed proof. I tried to chase them away but they growled at me. My father in law is on his way over now to help me out. I have two small children and can't risk having these dogs on my land. I am a dog lover but I just don't see any other option.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

most everyone will agree that you SSS- shoot, shovel and shutup.

having said that, before some one was to shoot my dogs, i alway asked if they would tell me first and give me a chance to take care of the problem. after that, i expected my dogs to get shot. have you talked to the guy and told him what the dogs are doing to your property? i think you are probably eligible for damages in small claims court. i'd try that first, then SSS.

3. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

As long as the dogs were running loose on your property, you have every right to protect your animals, children etc.
    If it had been on my property, the dogs would have been shot. I too am a dog lover, and around my area dogs are shot for entertainment. If my dog (who has been a great friend for many years) was shot because it was close to the gravel road I live on, I would be going to jail for retribution. On the other hand, if my dog went on someone elses property and did damage and was killed, I would be very upset and understanding at the same time, and would offer to replace what was killed.

In your case I am confident a judge would find you justified.(unless he/she is an ultra Liberal :cool:
    Scott

4. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

You should call the local law and find out what the skinny is. Around here, If you shoot a dog it is animal cruelty. I remember a dog bit a child badly and the owner of the dog shot & killed it, They arrested him for animal cruelty. I kid you not. There was a big story in the paper of a farmer killing a couple dogs on his property killing his animals. I believe he was eventually exonerated but I don't recall.

Just call the police or humane society and ask what the policy is where you live

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Check to see if there have been any similar cases in the past in your area-that would tell you what would happen. Look at the cases to see specifics if needed.

SSS-that's the way to go. Shoot and don't say a word-hey, if someone is ultra paranoid about guns in your area, you can show them pieces of chicken and duck, and show them remains and say you already butchered them if they bug you about what was shot.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Am I right in thinking that the dogs are no longer on your property???

I suspect it is illegal to look up these dogs to shoot them. You probably COULD sue the owner, and shoot them if they come back and are on your land.

If they are STILL on your land you could SSS.

BUT, every state has its own laws.

7. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

In that case, something other than the dog would have been shot if it were me-but I do tend to have a bad temper. :grump: :grump: If I had a child, and some dog bit it, and I shot the vicious thing, and someone had the nerves to come tell me I'd be in trouble, yikes! I would lose it! :grump: :grump:

Perfect example of the environmental whackies with their globalist agenda-just read the earth charter to see how it will get worse-see if your area has ratified it-some areas around me have, and I can honestly say I will never move to those areas.

8. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Holleegee, I would shoot the dogs and not mention it to any one. Once word got out that you shot a dog.. PETA and all the animal rights people will start calling you and threaten not only your safety but your entire family. Seen this happen first hand.
    I feel that you are justified to kill the dogs. Just be careful. People go nuts if they think or know that a dog has been killed. I would check to see if the county has a leash law. Possibly you could do something legally to the owner that would reimburst you for your dead chickens. Since you have proof, he would not be able to disput it. Good luck with this problem.
    tnborn

9. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

The exact answer depends on where you live. In my neck of the woods, I do have the right to shoot animals attacking livestock, and the dog owner owes me double the current market value of what was killed. Further, the dog owner will be fined for allowing a dog to run uncontrolled. If I lived a mile closer to town, I couldn't shoot because it would because it would be legally too close to a residential area. Your best information will come from calling the county Animal Control department first, then the sheriff. These are only poultry so the Brands Inspector isn't going to get involved, but that can be another good resource in finding out what rules apply where you live. I don't know of anyplace that doesn't have at least a law about uncontrolled dogs, but whether it is well-enforced can be variable.

I'm really sorry you've suffered such a loss! Seems like it's the most common problem I've heard when it comes to getting along with folks in the country.

Susan

10. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

What state makes a difference.

11. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

If they aren't on your place now, call the owner.
    If they come back, shoot them.
    Anybody gives you problems, invite them out to "talk about it". :D
    Around her, it's understood that an aggresive dog will probably be shot at the first sign of trouble. If those people care about their dogs, then they'll keep them home.

12. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

That just happened to me-neighbors dog wandered about 1/2 mile down the road, and attacked and killed one of our roosters. This dog had been lurking around, and had been calling the owner to tell him aboutit. In its defense, its a black lab, who wouldn't harm a flea ( I thought) and I still think it was 'just a lab thing'. However, when he killed our bird, I left a message on owners answering machine that I called him before grabbing the gun to goout and shoot his animal. By the time I got out there, he was gone. Called the dog warden-said if animal was attacking livestock on your propery, I had every right to shoot it. Since he is family dog, I deceided to try my pump pellet gun...he would come around, head for the coop, and I'd pop him hard w/ the pellet-after doing a mid-air 360 a few times, he has not came around since! Maybe you could try 'getting his attention' before using lethal force!

13. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Not just the State where you live, but the county/city too. I don't think any cities allow the firing of a gun inside city limits. To answer your question though you must think through the possible ramifications.

One: there is the law. And, as stated, that depends upon where you live.

Two: there is the possible fall-out from the owner of the dog(s). There are circumstances in which you would not be smart to take the law into your own hands with certain people if you know what I mean.

Three: there is the option as mentioned of SSS. IF you are confident about this, go ahead.

Four: There are other ways that are quieter, and more creative and it depends on your particular circumstances what you use. They vary from spiking meat with tranquilizers hoping the owners will get worried about a drunk dog coming home to other more permanent additions to the treats.

If the dog is approachable and you can get it(them)in an auto unobserved, you can transport it(them) to somewhere far away, and turn them in to a Animal Control Facility where they have chance of a good, responsible home(or not).

I have done just about everything at one time or another to take care of unwelcome loose dogs. In Vegas(city, so no shooting) there was a miserable, black, hairy, matted large Poodle cross that was let out every AM along with a pretty pit bull. They were forever getting into my garbage. I put up with this for about six months. I first sent home a note tied around the pit bulls neck(no way to learn where they lived, animal control kept picking them up but... there they would be again)Then,early one morning I got the poodleX in my Van and tossed an Acepromazine laced meatball to the Pit. Just enough to make him drunk.

Then I took the PX into the garage and gave it a severe haircut, leaving a mohawk on top of it's head and a puff ball at the end of it's non docked tail, I put a big, pretty, pink bow on both ends, sprayed it with some of my Chanel # 5, and turned the dog loose. I never saw those dogs again. :haha:

I didn't have anything against the dogs here..just wanted to wake up the owner.

To the other extreme, I did have something against a couple of other dogs( and the idiot they belonged to, a COP next door!) who broke into my house after them digging under my six foot redwood fence.... trashing my house. ripped up the drapes, pooped on the rug, chewed up the bedspread and trashed the bedroom, just absolutely caused several thousand dollars in damage.I didn't want to get on the wrong side of the police or take this guy to court.

I had been fighting this for some time with those dogs and the dummy who owned them. That was the last straw! I got those dogs while they were sleeping on my then MUD COVERED COUCH, threw them into my van and took them into the clinic where I worked. Put both of them down. At the end of the week the Doc asked me one evening when we were on a emergency call..." Do you know anything about two extra dogs in the freezer?" LOL I said yes, and that was the end of the matter.

So, most of the time you can go the usual route...call animal control, talk reasonably with the owners...shoot the dog ..whatever. But sometimes you have to take the road less traveled. Use your head.

LQ

14. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ will get you to the jurisdiction by state, find your state laws, and see what the law is concerning Dogs running at large.

In Idaho you can shooot a running dog, that is damaging your property [killing livestock is damages] and then proceed to collect damages from the owner.

Now, in Idaho 20 or so years ago, during hunting season I killed a dog that was harassing our stock, using a 30-30 carbine, the dog was 10 miles from its home in town, visiting his owners brother while the owner was cutting firewood, a few days after i shot that dog, I recieved invitation from the county/ state proscutor to go into court for killing "livestock belongiong to another in a malichious manner.... that was November, in April I went to trial by jury [petit] who in deliberation determined that since i used a 30-30 [remember it was hunting season and my rifle was already available] I had malicious intent.... anyhow after the jury went out to deliberate the judge congratullaed my attorney and said we most likely wone ....WRONG..... anyhow i was given a sentence of 6 months in county [suspended on 2 years of informal probation] $300 fine to the state [same suspension] $300 to the owner of the dog [dog was from the dog pound and a mutt] 1 week of community service [40 hours which i had to complete within 3 weeks of sentencing which was before any appeal could take place..... then came the bill from the attorney who said he did the best he could do.... $1200.00 yes 20 years ago, $1200.00 for LOSING in court just think if i had a winning attorney at that time..... So you could be in for both ways..... Moral of story.... shoot shovel and shut yer pie hole and no one can be the wiser. forget the damages caused by the other owner..... just get some new chix and bury the dog in the chicken pen where the new ones poop on the very ground the dog are buryed under.

still upset after 20 Plus years. oh and i figured out that i could lose just as well with doing my own paperwork and not cost me anything tis why i use Cornel law library

William

15. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Everyone has given you good ideas. I like the SSS method best because now the dogs know you have birds. But my heart tells me you should call the owners and show them the pics and ask for replacement. If they don't want to replace fine then they have just put a death warrant out for the dogs. And remember DO NOT TELL ANYONE!! you can tell us here tho :p .
    I am so sorry about that happening and how irresponsible the dog owners are. I hope it all works out. SSS

16. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I just don't understand Florida!!! It's now okay to shoot and kill a person attacking you and yours, but not a dog????? Sheesh!

17. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

Here it is a $300 fine and attend "anger management" classes if you shoot your nieghbors dog. The fine doesn't bother me so much but I'm not sure I could handle the anger management classes!! :}

18. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

You're right, a lot of Florida law doen't make sense. A big reason for that is that native Floridians like me are becoming a smaller percentage all the time. It seems like half the people who move here leave their common sense back where they came from.

But JoyKelley is exactly right. You can't shoot a dog in Florida even if you catch them in the act of killing your livestock. SSS in Florida means shoot, shovel and REALLY shut up. The one time I tried to talk to a neighbor about their dog bothering me, the dog died a short time later and they thought I had done it, even though I hadn't touched the dog.

19. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Ask Arliss.
    He never got into any trouble other than the mean glare his mama gave him right after she found out.

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL!

Good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coffee!!

Pony!