How Much Total Land Needed 2 Cows

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by KAYBEE, Apr 28, 2004.

1. KAYBEE

KAYBEE Guest

How much pasture/field is needed to feed 2 cows?

2. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

Where are you located? The answer can range from less than an acre per cow to multiple acres per cow depending upon your climate. Have you tried contacting your local extension office? They can usually give you a more accurate answer that someone here can.

FWIW, here in SW PA, an acre or two is usually more than enough to support two cows.

3. iowamom

iowamom New Member

I'm in NW Iowa. I have 15 acres of solid brome. I was told I could easily run 40 head. That's including a grain subsidy every day. Hope that helps!

Angie

4. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

If you are only intending to use the ground for summer pasture and buy your hay/grain for winter feeding, an acre (or two at most) should be ok. It will really depend upon the quality of the pasture. I would still recommend a call or visit to your county extension. In our area, they are generally a great source of information.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

In upper Michigan it depends on the grass, and fertility. Native grass or old hay ground up there is usually mostly timothy. The ground is sandy and nitrogen fertilizen makes a huge difference in how much the grass grows. If these are full grown cows about 4 acres should be plenty unless we get a very long dry spell.

6. KAYBEE

KAYBEE Guest

Just want to thank you for your responses.I really appreciate it.