How much $$ to spend on seeds,plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mrs_stuart, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I was wondering just how much money one spends on an average size or so garden each year? I mean, there are seeds, plants (on those hard to grow seed items), cuttings, bushes (blueberry and such), trees, bulbs, sets and such...and it seems like the prices are more and more each year...what kind of money do you send each year, is it worth it? Do you find saving your own seeds work for you and how much money does it save you to save seeds.

How many are saving your own seeds for the next year? and who buys new seeds (because of hybrids) each year and for what? What are the easiest seeds to save? Do you seeds always work the next year?

Belinda

2. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I spend as much as I can afford!!!!!!!!! Have spent alot this year putting in 200 lilies, blueberries and some trees to replace what blew down in a bad storm last winter. But we don't go out to eat,take fancy vacations,buy new clothes...our farm,gardens,orchards are are fun. Actually worked a few days OT to buy more plants!!! DEE

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

My garden area is about 50 x 55. I am probably going to end up buying $80 worth of compost. I just can't produce near enough. I am going to be stealing people's bags of leaves this fall. :D I paid about $50 for seeds. I had saved some from last year, and traded for some. I also got a few free ones from the government. I will be saving seeds from them this year so I won't have to buy as many next year. I am putting alot of labor into my garden, as alot of it is new area. I am using a pitchfork, so the fuel is in calories, and my body is quite efficient with them I might add, haven't lost a pound for all my hours of double digging. I'm special :D (yes, that's a fake smile). My blueberry plants were 70 or so I believe. I bought five plants that are a few years old, I forgot how many years, they are big. Umm, also bought 1 1/2 lbs. of winter rye (2.95), and 1 1/2 lbs. of hairy vetch seed(6.95) for cover crops on part of the garden. I'm using free newspaper, old hay, and pine needles as mulch.

So, not counting labor and my tools that last for years (pitchfork, shovel, trowel):

5.00 (gloves)
    20.00(seed trays and starting mix-some bought, some homemade)
    25.00(potato seed)
    total:

Wow, I didn't know my garden was so expensive. However, the produce will be well worth it. :D I won't have to buy seed trays again, as I am going to use toilet paper roll pots next year in the flats I purchased. I am about to order some apple trees too, they will not be in the garden obviously though.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Last years big expenses were fruiting shrubs and trees and DIRT (we have a choice of sand or wetland here) Also some bucks on fencing, which is half complete, but all paid for.
    This year, the outlay goes down....rolls of hay and maybe a couple of hazelnut bushes.
    Seeds each year are a whole different story. I can go nuts when I find some funky vegetable seeds!! Seems this years garden is going to be alot of squash :)
    All in all, the year's expenses shouldn't be much over $200 UNLESS I break down and buy those tomato spirals..... don't they look cool?
    http://www.tomato-cages.com/tomato-cage.html

5. southerngurl

Yup, I know how that is. Perhaps that is why I currently have some horned melon, rice, cotton, chichiqelette huckleberries, green moldovan tomato and romesca broccoli seeds. :rolleyes:

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

What are you going to do with the cotton? Do you know how to make fabric out of it?

7. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

We spend alot of money on our gardens that is by choice because we sell produce. I get most of my things in plug form because of our greenhouse business. We have two gardens 100x100 and one by 60x80 about and that has raspberries and cut flowers that I sell on our produce stand. But I would say it much cheaper to start from seed and we will be starting to save our seeds this year. We have lots of pumpkins and gourds and veggies that sell great. So I do get our return but we spend alot of time in our gardens. We do mulch with newspaper and hay or straw . I think it depends what you put in your garden is the cost. Brenda

8. southerngurl

I don't know anything about it. :haha: It was just too neat to pass up.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I made one small seed purchase this year. Less than 30$. And I have Martin's lovely gift. And some seeds I have saved from previous years. And some packets that I only used part of. And a good many herb seeds I ordered previously and didn't get to plant because of moving. So mostly I'll be buying fruit trees, bushes and vines once we move again. And I need to buy seed potatoes since I want to grow varieties not readily available at the grocery store. If I just plant 2 or 3 of each type of seed, I'll have a pretty big garden! And then there is that POUND of asparagus seed to plant!

I'll prob end up buying mulch this year, but will grow my own after this. But spoiled hay or straw is pretty cheap here, so not a big outlay. And I need new hoses and tools. None of mine made it thru the last move :( . I'm planning on putting in drip irrigation too. And of course I have to buy fence if I want to eat any of my own produce myself. And then I have to build trellis for all the vine crops. Ya know? I think I'm going to be pretty busy! And pretty POOR! But it is worth it because my biggest grocery expense is fruits and veggies. (Unless you count chicken feed.)

As for saving seed. The seed I've saved from my own planting seems to be doing ok. But do NOT save seed from produce given to or sold to you from someone else's garden. Not if you expect it to produce true at any rate.

10. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Just grow yourself a huge patch of organic green beans and you've paid for your garden expenses....was up in Columbia,MO. at my job and hit the swanky health food store where said beans were selling for $4.19 a lb!!!...since we grow 'em ny the bushel I'm pretty sure were are ahead when you add in all the fruits,tomatoes,taters and such we grow,too. DEE

11. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We grow for our farm stands and 2 farmer's markets. Last year we spent $210 on sweet corn seed, $254 on flower seeds and bulbs and $79 on other veggie seeds. We bought a John Deer 23 horse tractor with tiller this year,,,,,,,,...does that count?...Joan :eek:

12. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We don't save our own seeds but probably should. If you buy at stores with 10 for $1.00 it is a good deal. Also Walmart has seeds cheap. We like Pinetree seeds very much; shipping is cheap. Others are right that you only use a few seeds in the pack each year. We don't buy flower seeds unless they are 9 cents a pack at the lumber store nearby. They are easy seeds to save. Berries don't do well here; we have tried. Also keep an eye out for folks pruning grapes, etc. You can start new plants from these cuttings. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

13. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

Yes pinetree is a very good place to get seeds.. we live only one hour away from them.. so we go down and buy and what a great place with great people.. Brenda