How much to sell buck for?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sapphire, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Member

I know pricing is relative to different areas of the country, but can you give me some idea what to charge for my buck? He is one year, nice and big, registered experimental LaMancha.

I've looked online and see anywhere from $200 to $450. Quite a range. Can you help me narrow it down some?

Thanks!
    PS I'm in OK.

2. lotsofmuddypaws

lotsofmuddypaws Member

I just paid $150.00 for my buck Lamancha. He is a one year old,nice size etc.
    He is also registered. And comes from great blood lines. They were asking $200.00 for him.

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

$200 - $450!! Whew!! I'm sure it depends on where you are, but the prices you're quoting are the higher end of the ones I've seen, and it would be for a full LM buck from good lines, and from a very reputable herd with good milk tests and/or show wins. If you don't show or test, and if you don't have a reputation in the LM world, you'd be lucky to get $100 to $150.

For example, we have a full-bred registered LM buckling, from excellent lines (South Fork and White Star). He's out of a lovely, quite milky doe. We're asking $125 and haven't sold him. He'll probably go for meat soon. The folks we got our LMs from are very well-known in ADGA and dairy goat world, and they sell a lot of their bucks at auction, because they're just isn't a huge market for them.

There is so much less of a demand for bucks, becuase you only need one (vs. does). So people can afford to be much more choosey on bucks. You might want to think about selling him for meat, or keeping him for your own freezer as well.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Unfortunately, this is true. Unless, you find someone who just falls in love with your particular buck, you may have a hard time finding a place for him. So few bucks are needed for breeding in comparison to does that breeders can be selective in buying next years herd sire. A buck is half the herd.

Rather than focus your advertising on him being an experimental (a crossbred), focus on what he has to offer someone as a breeding buck. What does his mothers udder look like? How much does she milk a day and for how long of a lactation? What about your bucks paternal grandmother? How much milk did she give everyday and for how many months? Get these facts, be acurate. Without milk tests, they won't be official, but barn records help. Photos of udders help. Does your buck have nice productive daughters in milk? What to their udders look like. What about his personality? Is he easily handled and groomed? All this will have to be considered. You very well may find a buyer, a honmesteader who does not necessary want a show buck, but most likely not for a real high price....that is my opinion only.

5. Sapphire

Sapphire Member

Thank you for the replies. My dh will be disappointed that the buck is apparently not worth anything. )o: The buck's dam is a 10*milker and his sire's dam is a 3*milker. I sure don't want him to go to auction.

Thanks again.
    Sapphire

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Don't take him to the auction yet! Breeding season is upon us, and depending on where you live and how many goats there are in your area, you may indeed find a buyer. if he has a nice background in milk production, he may make someone a nice buck....but you may have to get out there and really advertise....feedstores, vet clinics, grocery store bullitin boards, newspapers, etc....try everything for a while before you go the auction route. get him in tip top shape so if someone comes to look, he will be at his best. I had a Lamancha buck that the previous owner flat out did me dirty and did not go through with the registration papers, i was really burned. I had to sell that buck at 1/3 of what he was worth....just made me sick. But I could not use him. He went to a fine home to someone who wanted him for his dairy lines and was happy to get a less expensive buck (no papers). I was happy he didn't go to the auction. Sometimes finding a buck a good home is reward enough. However, if you know your buck is worth every penny you want for him, stick to your guns! It's really a personal decision and only you know your animals.

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Before the auction, try placing him through these online classifieds... I've found a buck through domesticsale.com and gotten many inquirees on summer 06 pygmy kids as well from all three... They're all free!!
    www.hoobly.com
    www.domesticsale.com
    www.agriseek.com