Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Missing Home
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what is probably a silly question but exactly how do you get a rough estimate on how much veggies and fruit you'd need to plant for a family of 6? I also keep pigs,chickens,goats,rabbits, and plan to have a pond dug for fish as well. Just trying to get an idea from folks who have been there :D Also whats the best non commercial feed for pigs, I've been using the bagged stuff but it smells like chemicals and I know I don't want that in my food! It has some kind of antibiotic stuff in it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
http://www.providentliving.org/channel/1,11677,1706-1,00.html

You did not state if you will be canning for a year long supply or just off the field so to speak.

Bagged hog feed? Why?

Even in hogs, a little corn and hay will work just fine. Have a local mill chop the hay and mix in the corn or do it your self if they will not mix it in.

No way would I buy hog feed, unless you were down and out and had no other food to give.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
BillHoo said:
Plan on a whole acre of zucchini. That should be enough.

:doh: Smarty-pants! :rotfl:

I have what is probably a silly question but exactly how do you get a rough estimate on how much veggies and fruit you'd need to plant for a family of 6? I also keep pigs,chickens,goats,rabbits, and plan to have a pond dug for fish as well. Just trying to get an idea from folks who have been there Also whats the best non commercial feed for pigs, I've been using the bagged stuff but it smells like chemicals and I know I don't want that in my food! It has some kind of antibiotic stuff in it.

We discuss at length from time to time on the Gardening and Plant Propagation forum, but for some reason I can't find the keywords to get the threads to come up. But please do come over and join us there -- so many helpful folks!

In the meantime, here's a link that may be helpful:
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/hort2/mf315.pdf

Chart on how much to plant for how many people. Of course, your tastes may vary from what's on the chart, but it's a good place to start.

Pony!

·
Missing Home
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, thank you for the great responses, I love zuchinni squash but my hubby doesn't :rolleyes: I've been using the bagged feed because someone had told me that they wouldn't get enough vitamins with just the corn but now that I know thats *hogwash* lol I'm going to feed them the corn and hay. I've been giving them kitchen scraps and hay already so I'm prepared :D Now that were talking about feed, is there something better for chickens and ducks as well? My chickens are fenced into a large grassy area now and I've been feeding them laying mash and cracked corn.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
ladybug said:
how do you get a rough estimate on how much veggies and fruit you'd need to plant for a family of 6?
Most extension services I have visited in person or on the Internet - have a publication of suggested vegetable varieties for your area AND how much to expect from each planting. I think it wise to go with info from local people as so much depends on your soil, water, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
There are many cheap or free alternatives for pig feed, if you hunt for it.

I feed mine cheese (floor sweepings from a processing plant), Corn starch (more floor sweepings), And bread ($9. a pickup load)

Of course they also get pasture, kitchen scraps, garden extras, and weeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts