How much to feed?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TINYMARIA, Apr 15, 2005.

1. TINYMARIA

TINYMARIA Active Member

I have searched this forum and looked on the web, but I cant find anything that tells me how much to feed 4 goats.
    Right now they are getting free choice hay and a goat mix that I get at the feed mill. Ive been giving them about 2 cups a piece (they all eat out of the same feeder.)
    They look good for weight, maybe slightly thin, but they cry so much when I get home, its almost like they are starving, yet they still have hay in the bin.
    Should I be giving them feed in the morning too. I already get up at 4:30. Or should I give them more at night.
    Please let me know. Thank you.

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

If they still have hay in the bin they aren't starving for food - possibly attention, but not food. I free-feed alfalfa hay and my girls get 1 1/2 pounds of grain on the milk stand, twice a day.

You don't mention if they are young or old, milk goats, pets, bucks does or wethers....it makes a difference in the grain and the type of hay. Milking goats and growing youngsters need alfalfa hay and grain. Bucks and wethers need hay, but not necessarily grain...

-Sarah

3. TINYMARIA

TINYMARIA Active Member

Thanks Sarah,

My goats are all over a year old, 3 does that are nubien/togg mix and a buck that is nubien/boer. They are not milking goats yet, should be kidding in July.

I too was wondering if it was attention, but they just about plow me over when I feed them.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

If they look good, they aren't starving. However, as a habit I feed all my goats some form of concentrates twice a day....even our 7 year old wether my hubby won't let me butcher, just because he sees me feed everyone else twice a day and he hollers. I have my goats sepated out into pairs by personality so that they get their fair share of feed. Otherwise a more timid goat is pushed away every time and doesn't get her fair share. This occasional has to be changed up as dominance shifts. I have two does and their kids in one large lot. Two milkers and their kids in another patch. The old wether in his own patch. And my two bucks live together in their pen. Each group is fed differently, but still twice a day. They have lush weeds in their pens but they get a bit of coastal hay to chew on (to teach the kids about hay) and alfafa pellets and grain in their bowls morning and evening. The milkers get most of their grain on the milk stand. Soon the kids will be in a weaning pen. I castrated the 2 bucklings yesterday so seperating them from their sisters is not necessary.

5. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

a good, generic, starting point is one pound of grain per doe for maintenance, and 1 pound for every 2 lbs of milk she gives. bucks, in rut, about the same, if they'll even eat, a little less during the prime fresh graze season. now, this varies, according to the individual animal, of course. dairy does should be "dairy" meaning that they shouldn't be at all fat, rather, they should be lean. not bony, you shouldn't be able to count the ribs and backbone from the house, but you should be able to feel them a LITTLE as you run your hand across them. if you have to push to feel bone, they are TOO FAT, if you can count ribs across the pasture, they are too skinny.